View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
AndyPharmc

I really like the idea of dogs bred for a purpose more than for their "pure bred" status.

It's why I'm such a proponent of cross bred hog dogs and hounds.

I LOVE a dog bred to work in some way, I don't give two shits if it's "purebred". Who cares what it looks like--look what it can DO!

Also a tremendous Fila fan, BTW. I would LOVE to have one someday, but only if I live my dream and own my 5 acres in the woods, lol.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Of course the modern breeds did not exist when the Bandogge title was first applied, rather this was just one of many mastiff-type which eventually split into the traditional mastiff breeds and the ancestors of the bulldog. Also in the original Bandogge human aggression was encouraged, but this trait has been bred out of most existing Mastiff breeds over the past 100 years. Exactly. Bandogge was a title given to any overly aggressive dog that needed to be kept locked up, generally on a chain (which is what bandogge means...band=To tie, bind, or encircle with or as if with a band, dogge= dog), and then released at night to guard the property.

*the factoids were not directed at you guys, I'm sure that came up in your research, but for others that may peruse this and choose not to dig deeper on their own.