LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
DoctorNelsonOnten

Once Mexicans become a majority in the American South West will they try and secede and re-unite with Mexico?

In Texas at least they would be perfectly entitled to utilize Texas's secession clause, and trigger a referendum.
I don't think so. There's a reason why they (or their forefathers) left Mexico. Chicanos know (even when they won't admit it) that the anglos know how to run things.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #22
FLOMOUSLY

If they do, I could understand them. The South West was part of Mexico for many years. And in Texas as mentioned before, they could do it perfectly legally.

It is not the same as Morocans in France or Pakistanis in England not assimilating.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
Tyncneiff

When these states were about to become part of these United States, my ancestors were here, if it ever secedes from the US to Mexico, I, or my descendants will be here. We learned English, we can learn Spanish.
But when Mexico owned these states, they could not meet the needs of the people, as we see from the mass exodus to the US from Mexico, it doesn't look as though the mexican government has improved much.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
KellyMP

that's highly unlikely.

mexicans that live in the states are proud to have mexican roots but they wouldnt want to be part of mexico, they live well as part of the united states and they feel proud of being american citizens -at least the legal ones-, they want to assimilate and follow the american way of life.

American culture enriches with cultural elements of mexican culture without american culture stop being the main and most important culture to the united states, mexicans dont want the usa to become mexico but they make a contibution to that culture.

Cheers.
+1

Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #25
Unergerah

My favorite part of the Mexica movement is the chick lol. She looks 100% spanish to me. I'm serious. If she wasn't so chubby and she told me that she was from Spain - I would belive her.

She reminds me of Paquita from the Tv-series CĂșentame (spanish actress Ana Arias).

Mexica-Movement chic:

Ana Arias. Spain:

They'd probably get really pissed if I told them stuff like that.

But this guy is almost worse. He proclaims that he's a native american. Brown hair, caucasian featuers. He looks like a white biker or something.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #26
StivRichardOff

Well, Poland neither borders the USA and their immigration waves were more separated from one another. This might be a difference to take into account. It's harder for a Chicano to want to lose your Hispanophone heritage, because you're more likely to meet fresh import and to have family in the 'motherland'.

But really, you don't have to become a monoglot in order to be part of the US.
I see the differences, but Chicanos and Mexican-Americans in general are affected by the treatment, resentment and overall negativity coming from others. It's like the only way they can become somewhat accepted is to either kiss up and talk down at "the motherland" along with the rest of society and give up any kind of cultural attachment to it or just not "look the part" and ignore any connection to it.

I don't see why Chicanos have to lose every part of their heritage while everybody else gets a praise for "bringing diversity". Having nephews and nieces born and raised in USA has made me notice issues through their perspective. Outside of their households (with English-speaking immigrant parents), they're just like any other US-bred child and are taught USA is their country and to respect it. But to have them at a young age notice they're not perceived the same, well it does bother me. I don't think it's right for some Chicanos to identify with Mexico, but I can see why some feel the way they do.

However, as I stated before, majority have their own US identity that is distinct from WAms and Aframs, but definitely US nonetheless.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #27
WelcomeMe

I neither understand why Hispanic is seen as a race in some circles. A culture of different races, yes. A race, no. This all despite calling themselves 'La Raza'.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #28
Metrujectiktus

My favorite part of the Mexica movement is the chick lol. She looks 100% spanish to me. I'm serious. If she wasn't so chubby and she told me that she was from Spain - I would belive her.
Sad to admit, but there was a time in my younger years when I was brainwashed by that mentality

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #29
UriDepkeeks

Sad to admit, but there was a time in my younger years when I was brainwashed by that mentality
She's so cute though. She's so passionate about it! And that's what I like. It's like being schooled on Aztecs by someone who looks like the wife of a Conquistador.

On a more serious note: What they suggest (or seem to suggest) seems pretty unrealistic to me. It sounds like they want to undo 500 years of history and create an Aztec kingdom or something. The central government - nor in Mexico, nor in the US - will never allow such a thing. They are always very reluctant to give up land, power or influence.

So far it's just a movement for ..something. But if they get very serious about it they might get in trouble. The US, political police - the FBI - may intervene. Sounds absurd, but through Cointelpro, but they've carried out lots of government-sponsored assassinations. It's part of the reason why Puerto Rico could never become independent.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #30
Konservir

If they do, I could understand them. The South West was part of Mexico for many years. And in Texas as mentioned before, they could do it perfectly legally.

It is not the same as Morocans in France or Pakistanis in England not assimilating.
And if they secede what do they get?....

It would be foolish, I mean I have just been thinking about leaving mexico because mexican Gov is so corrupt that many times you cannot distinguish the line where a criminal ends and a politician begins.

That corruption is the main cause of all the mexican national problems and failures, being the massive mexican -both legal and illegal- immigration to the USA one of the results.

Mexico is misguided and it would be against myself, if myself, being a Chicano tried to secede a part of the USA to make it part of Mexico and SPOIL THE WHOLE THING!!!.

I expect i have made myself clear!.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
Sanremogirl

Never, born citizens Mexican-Americans are usually very nationalistic about the USA, and they dislike the corruption of Mexico... they left for a reason

Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #32
hLabXZlK

Something that would be fun is to kidnap the Mexica-chick just before she holds a big
speech and use the actress Ana Arias as a stand-in. Being an actress she can do the mexican accent and passionatly speak about Aztecs, but then as the speech moves on she gradually changes to a pure spanish accent and speaks in favor of La Conquista and more spanish influence. That would be epic

Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #33
Flerdourdyged

Something that would be fun is to kidnap the Mexica-chick just before she holds a big
speech and use the actress Ana Arias as a stand-in. Being an actress she can do the mexican accent and passionatly speak about Aztecs, but then as the speech moves on she gradually changes to a pure spanish accent and speaks in favor of La Conquista and more spanish influence. That would be epic
LOL that would be trolltastic.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #34
Gozmand

Most of these Mexicans are American citizens

Old 06-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #35
Shootohoist

Why would Mexican Americans want to secede? Makes no sense. In all honesty, I feel just as American as the next guy. There was a time, when I was younger, when I did feel like an outsider. Like I wasn't "All American" because of my immigrant parents. Because I wasn't a WASP. That was before. As I educated myself, I learned that there is no reason why I should place a double standard on my self and fellow Mexican Americans. Sure, it is true that a muti-generation Mexican American is seen as "Less-American" than a first generation "European-American" in the eyes of mainstream America, but that is societies view, not my own. I say fuck anyone who sees me as otherwise, I can care less how I am classified. The important thing is how I see myself. I am still proud of my ethnicity and bi-culturalism, and I would not change any of it. To be American does not mean dropping all your ethnic baggage at the door for some new baggage. It just means accepting the American identity without hyphens. Foreign culture is lost with each passing generation (or absorbed by the host culture as is occurring in the Southwest).

That is why I don't believe in "hyphenated-Americans". It creates an unnecessarily divide in this country. Assimilation is what we need. Not a fractionated America. I find it ridiculous that Mexicans who try to assimilate into mainstream American culture are criticized by fellow Mexican Americans. This does not seem to happen with other groups (Asians and European immigrants). But even then, Mexican Americans here who accept a division between themselves and mainstream America are still loyal to the country. If asked where their loyalty lies, they will always say USA (unless they are a Mexica/Aztlan idiot).

Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #36
attractiveweb

Once Mexicans become a majority in the American South West will they try and secede and re-unite with Mexico?

In Texas at least they would be perfectly entitled to utilize Texas's secession clause, and trigger a referendum.
No because Mexican Americans are too much of Americans to do that.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #37
StampNews

i don't see them seceding. they came here for a reason right?

as far as texas' secession clause 1. it does NOT mean they can secede to mexico, as when they joined the union they had already won their independence from mexico and 2. the likelyhood of the US letting texas, the second biggest state with the third highest population go is improbable. its too valuable. and i really don't know many texans who are really really interested in seceding. mexican americans included. just because they have pride doesn't mean they are looking forward to stealing back the southwest, though that would be hilarious if they did haha.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #38
fd8IIys2

as far as texas' secession clause 1. it does NOT mean they can secede to mexico, as when they joined the union they had already won their independence from mexico and 2. the likelyhood of the US letting texas, the second biggest state with the third highest population go is improbable. its too valuable. and i really don't know many texans who are really really interested in seceding. mexican americans included. just because they have pride doesn't mean they are looking forward to stealing back the southwest, though that would be hilarious if they did haha.
Not many people know that the Republic of Texas existed at one time, I'm afraid.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #39
layedgebiamma

if they were from texas they would. im pretty sure they still teach texas history as part of the curriculum down there.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #40
Wvq9InTM

Not to mention the military bases, oil refineries, and the fact that Americas nuclear arsenal is manufactured in Texas. And whatever else this place does. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantex_Plant

---------- Post added 2012-06-16 at 20:17 ----------

if they were from texas they would. im pretty sure they still teach texas history as part of the curriculum down there.
Fact.

Reply to Thread New Thread