LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
ftpsoft

]In heaven there are no homosexuality and there are looked upon as a sin that humans do.
in Christianity you have the city called sodoma and gomora where there was many gay and lesbian, this cities was hit by catastrophes send from heaven to destroy the bad sins of human .
Yes, I know the story of Sodom and Gomora very well. I went to a Southern Baptist school and it was drilled into my head. I still have to listen to that crap around here where I live and I still say it's pure bigotry and should not be tolerated and I won't tolerate it.

As to your first sentence, In heaven there are no homosexuality and there are looked upon as a sin that humans do. Are you saying you personally consider homosexuality to be wrong or sinful?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
Candykiss

buddhism is not the same as the myths of the Bible

in buddhism, heterosexual & homosexual promiscuity are discouraged because such behaviour generally results in strong sufferings

but skilful heterosexual & homosexual relationships are encouraged (for laypeople) because they promote human development

buddhism concerns itself with skilful relationship skills rather than sexual orientation

kind regards

Thank you, for the great post. You managed to explain it far better than me. That is one thing I like about Buddhism actions aren't considered sinful or even wrong, which is an arbitrary thing, but are rather considered in light of the question "will this action cause me or someone else suffering?"

Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Freefspruptpx

I dont know if i am allowed to answer you clearly actually. depend on the rules on this forum.

I have nothing against a person who are Gay or lesbian or other view, i just say as a Buddhist and a believer i find it wrong that to people of same gender have sex. but i dont go around telling them that they are doing bad. i can not judge other peoples feelings. but in my opinion it is in all religion said that homosexuality are a sin.

i dont mean to offend anyone with my view here, if i do i am really sorry

The thinker

Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
reiruviartugs

In heaven there are no homosexuality and there are looked upon as a sin that humans do.
buddhism also teaches about 'heaven', which is the sphere of real love & real care

in buddhism, heaven is called the Brahma world

when homosexuals who believe in the infinite goodness of buddha visit buddhist heaven, they also dwell in heaven

Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
Zvssxstw

I dont know if i am allowed to answer you clearly actually. depend on the rules on this forum.

I have nothing against a person who are Gay or lesbian or other view, i just say as a Buddhist and a believer i find it wrong that to people of same gender have sex. but i dont go around telling them that they are doing bad. i can not judge other peoples feelings. but in my opinion it is in all religion said that homosexuality are a sin.

i dont mean to offend anyone with my view here, if i do i am really sorry

The thinker
The Code of Conduct for the website - which everyone agrees to read and abide by when they join us, states:

"We welcome LGBT members to our community" (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transvestite)

kind regards

Aloka

Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
wrefrinny

I welcome them to

i will not make any problems with my answer on this forum.
I got a wuestion on my personal view and i did write i was unsure i was allowed to answer

again i am sorry for have broken the rules and offended the users of this forum

The thinker

Old 06-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
texbrease

again i am sorry for have broken the rules and offended the users of this forum
hi Thinker

thank you for your apology when you felt you may have upset another. however, you are free to hold your personal opinion

in my experience, the most part in Asia, and especially in the West, the real Buddhism of the monks & nuns, monasteries & dhamma centres are perceived as objects of safety by homosexuals. for example, in Thailand, homosexuals generally do not exhibit fear when they visit the monastery

Buddha taught there are three gifts we can give the world:

(1) material gifts & helpful acts

(2) the gift of safety; abhayadana, which means 'no fear'

(3) the gift of equality

Buddha saw the world as comprising of different compositions of elements. Buddha never taught against homosexuality because he understood the different compositions of elements in nature

with metta

Again, the Tathagata understands as it actually is the world with its many and different elements. That too is a Tathagata's power...

Again, the Tathagata understands as it actually is how beings have different inclinations. That too is a Tathagata's power...

Maha-sihanada Sutta

Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
pertikuss

Thank you for your honesty. I do not pretend to understand the complexities of sexuality, however if a person were to be born a homosexual would it not be equivalent to being born into a particular race or being born tall or being born with a big head(personal experience), so therefore not playing a role in the path to enlightenment.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #29
ChebuRAtoR

Admin note

Rather than continuing to discuss homosexuality, can we now return to the subject of the OP #1, please, which was "Could Christ have been a Buddha?"

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
Savviioor

Although I don't know if Jesus was a buddha or not, I think there are many similarities between his teachings and Buddha Sakyamuni's. I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus was trained in Buddhism before he started preaching as shown in the Bible. Of course, this is only speculation.

Interestingly, this BBC documentary, Did Jesus Die?, discusses possibility of his survival after his crucifixion and traveling to Asia -- did he return to continue his practice? Again, this is speculation.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
jincomplet

Thank you for replying, I think he probably did take inspiration from Buddha, though it seems mistranslated from the bible. In my personal opinion It seems that the teachings of Buddha have been added on and improved over the years, where as the teachings of Christ have been watered down.
Read the Gnostic Gospels.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #32
PareKeect

Jesus said some things that are very much in line with Buddhist teachings but he also said things that oppose Buddhist teachings. In Matthew Jesus says "Do not think I came to bring peace on earth. I came not to bring peace but a sword."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...4&version=NKJV

Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #33
chipkluchi

Jesus said some things that are very much in line with Buddhist teachings but he also said things that oppose Buddhist teachings. In Matthew Jesus says "Do not think I came to bring peace on earth. I came not to bring peace but a sword."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...4&version=NKJV
Yes the 4 Gospels especially has alot of contradictions.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #34
rassedgesse

I think Jesus was an enlighten one and had same tathagata level as Buddha had

The thinker

Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #35
bapimporb

I think Jesus was an enlighten one and had same tathagata level as Buddha had

The thinker
Why?

I hope this doesn't offend but you seem to make a lot of vapid claims.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #36
Karpattaisp

I dont get offended. and i know i see things different then many others so i not get shocked when you say it. but i have allmy understanding from my cultivaring. so i say only things i come across on my cultivating path.

The thinker

Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #37
Attarderb

I doubt it. He raged in the temples, because of the way they were taxing religion.

He was also missing for most of his life. Where did he go? Why wasn't any of that recorded? Just his childhood, blank, and then he is thirty!

Some speculate that he actually learned from Buddhist Masters.

Also, he really was very much the jew. And taught many things that would not benefit the Buddhist on his path.
Jesus, if that was his real name was born a Jew, he lived as a Jew and died as a Jew. His followers were Jews. When he died he would have been buried and not put in a cave. He would have also led a Jewish life insofar that when he attained a certain age he would have married and raised a family.

Jesus could not have been a Buddah even if he had learned of the Buddahs teaching. He believed in a supreme being which goes against one of the fundamental principles of Buddhism. There is no evidence that he travelled far or that he came into contact with people from other countries other that the Romans.

I find this an odd discussion, why are we talking about it. When I informed my family that I was a practising Buddhist, my practising Jewish sister told me I worshipped idols. I gave up as a practising Jew more that sixty years ago and have been a practising Theravada Buddhist for more than thirty years.

Suffice to say, as Jesus and his followers were Jews, Christianity must be a sect of Judaism. I must write to the Vatican.

Peace

Gerry

Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #38
wiweimeli

I doubt it. He raged in the temples, because of the way they were taxing religion.

He was also missing for most of his life. Where did he go? Why wasn't any of that recorded? Just his childhood, blank, and then he is thirty!

Some speculate that he actually learned from Buddhist Masters.

Also, he really was very much the jew. And taught many things that would not benefit the Buddhist on his path.
Jesus turned over the tables in the temple as they were being used by money lenders. I have no knowledge that religion was being taxed. When a Jew goes to the temple he takes no money with him. Also on the Sabbath he would have to walk to the synagogue, any form of transport would not be permitted, not even a donkey. No work could be carried out, no lighting a fire, no cooking food, it is a very restricted life for a Jew on the Sabbath.

From a very very lapsed Jew but a practisibg Buddhist of many years.

Peace

Gerry

Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
9Goarveboofe

Jesus, if that was his real name was born a Jew, he lived as a Jew and died as a Jew. His followers were Jews. When he died he would have been buried and not put in a cave. He would have also led a Jewish life insofar that when he attained a certain age he would have married and raised a family.
I'm actually interested in what you have to say. I am not trying to be argumentive.

Could some raised in a Jewish upbringing become a Buddhist? Yes. Because it seems you have. What's the difference between you and Jesus. Your family may have been totally misunderstanding of your beliefs but it didn't have to lead you to reject Judaism. I'm sure it's more than that - what I'm getting at is that I do believe it's possible to follow paths. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jesus could not have been a Buddah even if he had learned of the Buddahs teaching. He believed in a supreme being which goes against one of the fundamental principles of Buddhism. I haven't encountered this fundamental principle of Buddhism. Could you refer to some source material to help me understand how this is true.

If Christ encountered the Buddhist teachings, he didn't have to overthrow his entire beliefs to practice Buddhism.

EDIT:

Further question that sparked in my mind: Do you have to follow Buddha's teaching to be a Buddha?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #40
Calluffence

Ok, I am linking to the buddhist wiki page about god. For those of you who lack confidance in wikipedia I invite you to read the books cited in the references.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

Regarding the wiki article buddhism is officialy agnostic and does not see the idea of a supreme god being relevant to spiritual progress. Most often the idea of god is refuted when it conflicts buddhist principles, for example the christian god being eternal conflict with the buddhist idea of imperenance.

Now, read this carefully because it is important: I am not well read enough to know how god was understood by the jewish faith at the time of jesus. But if he possesed qualities that refuted buddhist principles then, to me, he would lack understanding about reality and therefor not be a buddha.

I don't mean to be speaking for gerrymob, but that is how I understand it.

Lastly, none of this is to undermine Jesus. Even if we say hypothetically he did know about the buddha dharma maybe he had disagreements with its principles and had no interest in pursueing buddhahood. Who knows.

Reply to Thread New Thread