LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Adeniinteme

Default If You Expect The Unexpected, Is It Really Unexpected?
No

Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
V8V8V8

I expected a poll about a somewhat inane topic to be posted, but didn't expect it to be about whether it was expected or not. And also I assumed it would be on a day Perfection had been banned from CFC. But that would be expected, so I really don't know how to answer.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
N9NACzws

They have only proven that it exists and what causes it by observing it. It is the observation that makes it real.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
choollaBard

but not without observing them

Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #5
Prererularl

No. The question is, does it make a sound?

Besides, the answer Berkeley gave was that God is there to observe it, thus it will. How does God observe? I have no idea.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
WapSaibiar

Originally posted by Japher
but not without observing them That is only for us Humans. Unless one assumes that there is no universe without sentience to observe it, sound exists whether it's being observed or not.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
rozalinasi

Unless one assumes that there is no universe without sentience to observe it, sound exists whether it's being observed or not. That is what Berkeley said...

Old 04-26-2007, 03:44 AM   #8
Muramoursuard

That is what Berkeley said... And I believe Berkeley is dead wrong.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:49 AM   #9
loikrso

That is not the question, it is a caveat, or condition of the question. The question is "does it make a sound/noise" not "did anyone hear it".

The question is, "If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?". You're the one trying to strip away relevent portions of the question and address another question entirely.

The answer to that question is... We can observe the event without hearing it, and depending on the definition of "sound" it may or may not make one. If "sound" is defined as a vibration transmitted through an elastic solid, liquid, or gas at frequencies generally audible to the human ear... then yes, it makes a sound. If "sound" is defined as the mind's interpretation of the impulses triggered by those waves impacting the eardrum... then no, it doesn't make a sound.

In either case, the "God" answer is bogus.

In the question we are given the condition that "no one is there to hear it", thus we are aware that a direct observation cannot be made of the event. Technically, God, if He/She/It exists, is "someone", and so the question would be inapplicable as long as God were there to hear it. If God does not "hear" in the same manner which humans do, then you're back to the same issue as without God. It is up to the definition of "sound" to determine the answer.

Reply to Thread New Thread