LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
SteantyjetMaw

Three places I have played at different times. First is a public, municipal course. It is a very good course but I quit playing there because of the five hour weekend rounds. Second is a semiprivate course, they required carts but allowed fivesomes which were slow. For those two reasons, I quit there. The third is private and NO fivesomes allowed, walkers are welcome. It is my current course and we usually play in 3.5 to 4 hours.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
MarythePuppy6

I wonder if a course would only allow twosomes at a time would quicken the pace of play. I know a public couldn't afford to do this, but could a private?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
SteantyjetMaw

I wonder if a course would only allow twosomes at a time would quicken the pace of play. I know a public couldn't afford to do this, but could a private?
Our tournaments used to be played in foursomes and it meant 4.5 hours. Now all our tournaments are played in threesomes and move along at "normal" 3.5 to 4 hour rounds.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
derty

my course is Public but offers memberships, weekends can be tough...we have no marshals, no starter...people just shown up and decide based on what they can see whether they want to start on 1 or 10 and it gets aggrivating.

The problem is the private course here is not anywhere near as nice, only has 9 holes so pace of play is still an issue and gets very crowded on weekends as well.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Prealiitellg

I don't think that would go over well with members. Private clubs are very social. Members would want to play with their friends.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
brraverishhh

We had a ranger come up to us when we were sitting at the 10th hole tee box yesterday, and inform us that we were at 2:30 for our front nine, and that we needed to pick up the pace a bit.

So, apparently our threesome on carts, having to sit on tee boxes for 10 minutes a hole were the problem, and not the twosome, and then foursome in front of us that were screwing around, hitting multiple balls off the tees/fairways, smoking pot, and generally being knobs on the course. There was only one tee box on the back that we didn't have to sit and wait for these idiots to clear out. If you see a ranger 2 times during 18 holes, it simply is not enough.

Nothing irritates me more than slow play. I need to keep my tempo to, for lack of a better term, keep my sh*t together.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Clilmence

I don't think that would go over well with members. Private clubs are very social. Members would want to play with their friends.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
Agree'd. We had a lot of regular who played together, then you get a lot of corporate members taking out clients, which is usually a threesome at least.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Vezazvqw

I played today at a course that is generally 5+ hour rounds on the weekends in four hours today while taking some time to socialize with the random the joined with us and taking a few extra shots for fun here and there. Most relaxing round I've had in a while. I haven't played at a country club in a while but one thing I remember about it was it seemed much more empty, easier to relax and just do your thing.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
duribass

I have come to realize 4 hrs is just perfect and there are so many factors you can't really judge which type of course is generally going to be the fastest

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
enfoires

I can't imagine many situations that a private course isn't going to be faster, unless there's so many members the parking lot looks like a public course.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
IssuessBratte

It's a crap shoot whichever way you go. We don't have munis here but I play one in asheville when I'm up there and pace is always good. On the other hand a private course here in Naples is always slow. Like war mentioned, timing is key.

--
Tapatalk2

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Clilmence

The only time the Private course I worked at was slow was Thursday mornings because there were about 20 guys 70+ who tee'd off every Thursday morning. Other than that though, the Marshalls did a good job of keeping pace of play decent and letting quicker groups pass through.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
Attarderb

It all depends on a couple of things; Are there Marshals on the course and are they doing their job? What time did you tee off? Is it your group playing slow or being slowed down because of those in front of you?

I try to get the earliest tee time I can, usually between 7am-8am, and can usually get a round of 18 done in 3.5 hours. I play a good bit of Semi-Private and Public courses.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Mello

I would say in my experiences my rounds are almost always faster at private courses

Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
namaikaimvputka

Default Speed of Play on Muni VS Semi-Private VS private clubs
We love golf and play all winter here in Missouri but recently the speed of play on the semi-private course we play is a bit to slow. After five hours we decided to skip the last three holes as promised to take the wives out tonight. Are the private courses a little quicker or about the same?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Mello

And the only time it is slow at private course is when the few groups of older ladies tee off before us

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Prealiitellg

In my experience, private clubs seem to be quicker. Most players are semi-decent, and have a general understanding of golf-etiquitte. If you do get behind an overly slow group, they tend to let you play through.

Since joining a private course last fall, my longest round there is 4.5 hours, and anything over 4 hours is unusual. I have played a couple other private courses and pace seems to be decent at those courses as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
ketNavatutt

Normally play a muni which is 3:30 or 3:45 rounds, today I played at a country club here that was covered up with 5 somes and walkers. We started at 8:30 am and finished at 1 with 2 foursomes. The muni I play always has a Marshall and I normally play with the pro, never saw a ranger today on the private course. The problem I see with alot of CC members is they think they are privileged and that they are better than they really are.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
Clilmence

I can't imagine many situations that a private course isn't going to be faster, unless there's so many members the parking lot looks like a public course.
Have had that happen. People parking down the lane of the driveway, tee times booked from 7:00am-4:30pm. Still only fell 20 min. behind pace of play that day.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
namaikaimvputka

Thanks for the replies. I will probably look for a private club in the area and try it out.

Reply to Thread New Thread