LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
estelle

Default Questioning my faith
I hope this makes sense.

Lately, it has been bothering me that I don't question my Islam more. I have read a lot, but at the end of the day, I accept it and move on. It's not in my nature to look for whys, hows, and because, but it's slowly creeping up on me now. Things like how do we know that the Qur'an is indeed the literal word of Allah SWT

In the recesses of my mind, I know that Islam is for me. I know that I believe in an all powerful Creator and that it is Allah SWT.

I don't know why, though. Aside from being born a Muslim, alhamdullilah, I don't have tangible reasons for my beliefs. If someone were to ask me these questions, I wouldn't have an answer. Normally how I feel about Islam, the way reading Qur'an brings me to tears, the way nature inspires such awe, the way a moving dua has me up all night pleading for forgiveness is how I know my heart is somewhat soft, but right now, that isn't enough. I'm struggling to hold onto that feeling, which in recent hours/days has ebbed away. If I can logically ascertain such answers to myself, it would be cement the feeling. How do I rationally arrive at these, and more, conclusions?

Jazakallahu khairan.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
defenderfors

I hope this makes sense.

Lately, it has been bothering me that I don't question my Islam more. I have read a lot, but at the end of the day, I accept it and move on. It's not in my nature to look for whys, hows, and because, but it's slowly creeping up on me now. Things like how do we know that the Qur'an is indeed the literal word of Allah SWT

In the recesses of my mind, I know that Islam is for me. I know that I believe in an all powerful Creator and that it is Allah SWT.

I don't know why, though. Aside from being born a Muslim, alhamdullilah, I don't have tangible reasons for my beliefs. If someone were to ask me these questions, I wouldn't have an answer. Normally how I feel about Islam, the way reading Qur'an brings me to tears, the way nature inspires such awe, the way a moving dua has me up all night pleading for forgiveness is how I know my heart is somewhat soft, but right now, that isn't enough. I'm struggling to hold onto that feeling, which in recent hours/days has ebbed away. If I can logically ascertain such answers to myself, it would be cement the feeling. How do I rationally arrive at these, and more, conclusions?

Jazakallahu khairan.
Religion can be defined as the response of a person to the questions that the reality around and inside him pose infront of him. It is the religious experience of a person through which he defines his existence in this universe and locates his being perfectly in the whole set of reality across him. Its all experiential truth. To talk about tangible reasons for experiences is trivial. I like taking chocolates and yet i have no tangible reason for why i like it but i do know that its true that i like chocolates and may be if someone asks me for a proof for this statement "I like chocolates" , i would not be able to produce any but asking someone for a proof for his likening of chocolates is trivial and meaningless.

The second objection will be "Have you studied all the religions before choosing Islam?". The question seems to be disturbing in the beginning but it becomes trivial through a little thought. I have stated the definition of religion already. I know it on the basis of my experience that Islam perfectly answers all the questions posed infront of me by the reality and i know that some different religions have different answers to those questions so as i know that my answer is correct and someother people have different answers then i know that the other answers are wrong as mine is the correct one and for that i don't need to know the other answers at all.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
anconueys

the way reading Qur'an brings me to tears, the way nature inspires such awe, the way a moving dua has me up all night pleading for forgiveness
Sister, these things are what's tangible; and answers all lingering questions. Alhamdulillah

Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
g4YthYXx

Sister, these things are what's tangible; and answers all lingering questions. Alhamdulillah
I'm trying to supplement the emotional response with logic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to have a better answer to these questions other than "it's just how I feel".

Old 08-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
gettoblaster

I'm trying to supplement the emotional response with logic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to have a better answer to these questions other than "it's just how I feel".
For other people, or yourself; or both?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Roamsaffots

I hope this makes sense.

Jazakallahu khairan.
Some in

Some out

Allah knows best about you

don't make any bad decisions

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
Inenuedbabnor

For other people, or yourself; or both?
To be completely honest, I'd say a bit of both. Being able to reach these conclusions in a step by step manner would only cement how I feel about Islam, and I'd have something...tangible to explain to others.

But for immediate purposes, this is for myself. These are questions that I was asking myself and realized...I didn't have a good answer for. I wasn't able to convince myself.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Coededgeme

I hope this makes sense.

Jazakallahu khairan.
Maybe look around and ponder over the system you are living in, the nature, how things happen , just start pondering and analyzing anything. If your just and logical then inshAllah you will reach to a point where you will admit that there is a creator.

Once that is established than who this creator must be would be the question? Then attempt understanding the attributes of Allah , and if you are just and logical then you will inshAllah feel that no other creator in any other religion has attributes the way Allah informs us about himself. Removed from any deficiencies. InshAllah your soul will find peace in believing such a creator.

Then next ponder over Prophet Mohammad S.W and his mission. And then the miracles that have happened , start from pondering over the fact that how this book Quran is immposible to change. How Allah takes the responsibility to preserve it and how man feels inclined to remember it Dot by dot. This is a miracle initself.

Then look at the Ahadeeth of Prophet S.W. How can 1400 years ago a man had such great and accurate forsight that he was informing about times to come after 1400 years. And things are exactly happening.

Similarly pondering over facts one can realize their is a great intelligent creator who must be free from any deficiencies, or else cannot be called a creator because he is the one who has to create deficiency in the first place. It can be none other than Allah Ta'la.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
Pynctyncroast

Each and every thing that we do in this world becomes "it's just how i feel" at the end of the day. One should not be obsessed with "logic" as at the end of the day the foundations of logic have been defined on "It's how i feel".

Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Audi_z

i hope this makes sense.

Lately, it has been bothering me that i don't question my islam more.
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh to you if you are a Muslim

you are apparently suffering from confusion.

why is it bothering you that you don't question your Islam anymore ?

Certainty in Islam is a good thing not a bad thing, questioning it is the work of the satans.

i have read a lot, but at the end of the day, i accept it and move on. It's not in my nature to look for whys, hows, and because, but it's slowly creeping up on me now. Things like how do we know that the qur'an is indeed the literal word of allah swt everyone is given this choice to believe or disbelieve

if you choose to disbelieve then you will be a disbeliever

if you are sincere discuss your problems with someone learned

in the recesses of my mind, i know that islam is for me. I know that i believe in an all powerful creator and that it is allah swt. this is not in harmony with the other things you are saying

i don't know why, though. Aside from being born a muslim, alhamdullilah, i don't have tangible reasons for my beliefs. If someone were to ask me these questions, i wouldn't have an answer. Normally how i feel about islam, the way reading qur'an brings me to tears, the way nature inspires such awe, the way a moving dua has me up all night pleading for forgiveness is how i know my heart is somewhat soft, but right now, that isn't enough. I'm struggling to hold onto that feeling, which in recent hours/days has ebbed away. you have not got a tangible reason for your beliefs? - have you really spent any time studying Islam?

if you have and you still say that then you have missed the point of everything you have read and heard

if you are a real Muslim not a troll (which to be honest is what you appear like) then it is likely that you have done something that displeased Allah and he has opened you up to these doubts - start doing things that please Him and stop doing things that displease Him if you want him to give you emaan

if i can logically ascertain such answers to myself, it would be cement the feeling. How do i rationally arrive at these, and more, conclusions? The test of the world is such that intelligence can lead either to truth or to misguidance depending on the heart of the individual

Emaan is a gift from Allah which He gives to the good, it is something in the heart not the brain

If you want Emaan abstain from sin, repent, increase your ibadah and make it sincere and Allah will increase your faith InshaAllah

it is as simple as that

He gives it to whoever He wills and takes it away from whoever He wills

Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
libertiespana

To be completely honest, I'd say a bit of both. Being able to reach these conclusions in a step by step manner would only cement how I feel about Islam, and I'd have something...tangible to explain to others.

But for immediate purposes, this is for myself. These are questions that I was asking myself and realized...I didn't have a good answer for. I wasn't able to convince myself.
These books and this article may be of benefit to you,

http://attahawi.files.wordpress.com/...c-sciences.pdf

http://individual.utoronto.ca/fantas...ompilation.pdf

http://www.deoband.org/2010/03/aqida...-of-a-creator/

Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
jerzeygymwolf

Rationality will not give you certainty or increase your eman...you will have some arguments but in the final analysis all reasons can be broken. Sometimes it is better to just say I believe, because I do...build a relationship with Allah, through worship of Him, abstaining from sins and maybe connecting oneself with a shaykh who will teach you ihsan (to worship Allah as though you see Him or to Know that He sees you).

Old 08-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Xiciljed

you are apparently suffering from confusion.

why is it bothering you that you don't question your Islam anymore ?

Certainty in Islam is a good thing not a bad thing, questioning it is the work of the satans.
I feel as though I take my faith for granted, which is why I am asking these questions. Like, it's just there, but I don't know why or how. I worry that if push comes to shove, the foundations of my imaan will crumble.

everyone is given this choice to believe or disbelieve

if you choose to disbelieve then you will be a disbeliever

if you are sincere discuss your problems with someone learned I will look for someone, iA.

this is not in harmony with the other things you are saying What I'm struggling to explain is that I feel in my heart/mind that my questions are answered, simply based on how I feel. But that's it.

you have not got a tangible reason for your beliefs? - have you really spent any time studying Islam?

if you have and you still say that then you have missed the point of everything you have read and heard

if you are a real Muslim not a troll (which to be honest is what you appear like) then it is likely that you have done something that displeased Allah and he has opened you up to these doubts - start doing things that please Him and stop doing things that displease Him if you want him to give you emaan I have studied Islam quite a bit, perhaps I need to start with the basics again.

I didn't realize that simply asking questions was enough to make one a troll.

Abstain from sin, repent, increase your ibadah and make it sincere and Allah will increase your faith InshaAllah

it is as simple as that

He gives it to whoever He wills and takes it away from whoever He wills Jazakallah khair, I will keep this in mind.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Arrectiff

Alif. Lam. Mim. (1) This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil). (2) Who believe in the Unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them; (3) And who believe in that which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that which was revealed before thee, and are certain of the Hereafter. (4) These depend on guidance from their Lord. These are the successful.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
assonomaf

i feel as though i take my faith for granted, which is why i am asking these questions. Like, it's just there, but i don't know why or how. I worry that if push comes to shove, the foundations of my imaan will crumble.
it looks like you need to go on a quest to find these things you are looking for

what i'm struggling to explain is that i feel in my heart/mind that my questions are answered, simply based on how i feel. But that's it. there are thousands of scholars and sufis out there all answering your questions, if you just learn to hear what they are saying.

i have studied islam quite a bit, perhaps i need to start with the basics again. maybe you need to find teachers who can reach you

i didn't realize that simply asking questions was enough to make one a troll. asking what are effectively loaded questions that challenge islam makes you look like a troll, they don't make you a troll unless it was your intention to wage war against the religion with them. Allah knows about you, I hope the best for you.

which scholars do you listen to or read? there are many scholars who are legalists whose thinking is a little un-profound. I am sure that you need to broaden your horizons and seek out scholars who have a greater cosmic perspective.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #16
investor

Apart from all the sophisticated arguments, of all the pros and cons, it all comes to one thing and that is faith.
Among the people of faith there are those with an extremely rare intelligence but there are also those who never read a word.
All we can say is that faith is a great gift by God to those who crawl in dust and are sincere just to achieve that state.

Some people would start at philosophy just to reach that state.
What I don't understand is that you have faith but at the same time you are worrying about your foundation.
If a building has finished and it stands then we can say its foundation is properly placed.
Why would one tear down this building to check the foundation? And how are you so sure that you will rebuild the same building?
Do understand that there's no solid argument against or in favour of religion, you will basically find yourself in a labyrinth of endless debates.
Take Imam Al-Ghazali (ra) as an example, he understood that true certainty lies in experiencing the unseen realities, not in endless discussions.

For me personally it started about the very essence of existence. I was blown away by the fact that I am, that I exist.
I could not water down this matter to a point of relativity. Naturally humans are purpose-seekers as has been established by social science.

I am only doing what is natural to me and to go against my nature, takes responsibility.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
moopogyOvenny

I didn't realize that simply asking questions was enough to make one a troll.
Sister, I apologize on behalf of those people who insinuated that you might be a troll.

Your story was very compelling; and all you were doing was asking for advice on a deeply spiritual matter of the heart.

May Allah (swt) reward you quickly with the answers that you are seeking. Insha'Allah

Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
Annyllop21

Sister, I apologize on behalf of those people who insinuated that you might be a troll.

Your story was very compelling; and all you were doing was asking for advice on a deeply spiritual matter of the heart.

May Allah (swt) reward you quickly with the answers that you are seeking. Insha'Allah
Ameen
Reading your thread it was interesting. The way Shaytan works is very clever. He knows you have a certainty in your heart. and he hates that. So there seems to be a very strange process going on. The negative side of you is trying to consider it acceptable to have doubts about Islam. Once this doubt has been established, this negative side will look for a thousand reasons to disbelieve in islam. it's scary right? I think brother Abdur Raheem despite his implications, actually offered some very good advice. Seek with, and sit with scholars. if you cannot do this, explore your faith by studying the real scholars on youtube, or books.
There is certainly a beautiful depth to Islam, one could devote their whole life to one aspect of Islam, and not uncover its whole truth - seek something out for you to explore. The people here are wonderfully knowledgeable, seek out the answers and you will find.. so the question is, are you willing to go on that journey? =) (I think you are!)

Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
worldofwarcraft

[QUOTE=CoralRhapsody;804819]

Lately, it has been bothering me that I don't question my Islam more. I have read a lot, but at the end of the day, I accept it and move on. It's not in my nature to look for whys, hows, and because, but it's slowly creeping up on me now. Things like how do we know that the Qur'an is indeed the literal word of Allah SWT You apply the Quran and see how it provides deep sanity to your life...this proves to you that it is from the Creator. This knowing cannot be rationally communicated to others..you just know it and there are no words you can use to explain it.

I don't know why, though. Aside from being born a Muslim, alhamdullilah, I don't have tangible reasons for my beliefs. If someone were to ask me these questions, I wouldn't have an answer. I have had similar thoughts..but why do you need to give reasons to anyone? As long as you know it is the truth and your heart accepts it then nothing more is needed. Pray, give sadaqa and devote yourself to Allah and He will Guide you.

Normally how I feel about Islam, the way reading Qur'an brings me to tears, the way nature inspires such awe, the way a moving dua has me up all night pleading for forgiveness is how I know my heart is somewhat soft, but right now, that isn't enough. I'm struggling to hold onto that feeling, which in recent hours/days has ebbed away. If I can logically ascertain such answers to myself, it would be cement the feeling. How do I rationally arrive at these, and more, conclusions? Rationality and materialism are dominant in this day and age and we want to use them to gain certitude, but they are the wrong tools. We know or gain knowledge in many different ways, not just through our sense perceptions and our rational faculties.

Have a read of this:
-Heidegger-for-Muslims-by-Prof-Umar-Ibrahim-Vadillo-Dallas-College-Cape-Town-2000.pdf

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1K...ThVQ1o5ZW1ZTmc

You may need to read it slowly to get it, I do not know if you will find it useful or not.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
Swidemaiskikemu

Imam Ghazzali, at one stage in his life, thought that he needed stronger foundations for his faith.

It was the start of a very long road for him, but what he wrote is beneficial to the rest of us.

Reply to Thread New Thread