LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
IdomeoreTew

Default The Lost Madhabs?
al-Salamu Aleykum,

Dear brothers and sister you and I and all laymen we know about the four main Madhabs of Islam: Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i & Hanbali, they are the known Madhabs who are practised upon today but my question now is about the other Madhabs.

I know that there was the Madhab of Ja'afar ibn Muhammad known as al-Sadiq (rah) (d.148 A.H) in al-Madinah and this Madhab was destroyed and corrupted by the Ghulat of the Rafidha, I also heard of the Madhab of 'Abdul-Rahman ibn 'Amro al-Ouza'ee (d. 157 A.H) who was in Lebanon and his Madhab disappeared, There is also the Madhab of Imam Dawoud al-Dhahiri (d. 270 A.H) and his Madhab seems to have been in al-Andalus but is nowhere to be found today, Also the Madhab of Suffiyan al-Thawri (d. 161 A.H) and his Madhab was practised upon in Iraq.

The question is do you know of any others and are any of these Madhabs still practised upon today?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
VistaULTIMATEdownloadaPro

As-salamu alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuhu

I remember reading that Imam at-Tabari had his own madhab and that it died out. Don't know if that is authentic information or not.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
VistaULTIMATEdownloadaPro

As-salamu alaikum

I also remember reading that Ibn Hazm was following a different madhab.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
T5qYkHWQ

layth ibn saad

Old 05-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
fil_nurser

How can they be practised today? Surely we'd all know about them, theyd be mentioned in books etc.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
Pa33anger

Very good question by the OP here, I remember actually one of my mates who discussed this with me at the time, and I was a bit young and a bit confused so couldnt really find much information.

Anyway regarding Ibm Hazm not much information is available on the net, but I found this if it helps.

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/hazm/ibnhazm.htm

http://www.muslimheritage.com/topics...?articleid=476

Old 05-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
Mjxhnapi

Ibn Hazm's dhahihiri madh-hab does not represent ahl as-sunnah.

Ustadh Tripoly: I'm not sure if Imam Ja'far had a madh-hab in the sense of the 4 madha-hib. Rather, he had his own ijtihaadiyyaat in various shar'i matters, just like the rest of the a'immah of the salaf did. In fact, there wasn't a uniform method of ijtihad i.e. usul used by the Ahl al-Bayt; it is quite possible that Imam 'Ali Zayn al-'abidin and Imam Ja'far would have different opinions on a single matter. However, these opinions were not autentically preserved by a group of loyal students, unlike Imam Abu Hanfifah, for example, who had Imam Abu Yusuf and Imam Muhammad (the latter compiled the dhahir ar-riwaayah for us hanafis). This is why their madha-hib did not survive.

An interesting feature of the hanafi madh-hab is that it was largely based on the ijtihaad of sayyiduna 'AbduLlah b. Mas'ud, but also sayyiduna 'Ali radhiy Allah 'anhumaa, owing to its birth in the city of Kufa.

was-salam

Old 05-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
IdomeoreTew

Ustadh Tripoly: I'm not sure if Imam Ja'far had a madh-hab in the sense of the 4 madha-hib. Rather, he had his own ijtihaadiyyaat in various shar'i matters, just like the rest of the a'immah of the salaf did. In fact, there wasn't a uniform method of ijtihad i.e. usul used by the Ahl al-Bayt; it is quite possible that Imam 'Ali Zayn al-'abidin and Imam Ja'far would have different opinions on a single matter. However, these opinions were not autentically preserved by a group of loyal students, unlike Imam Abu Hanfifah, for example, who had Imam Abu Yusuf and Imam Muhammad (the latter compiled the dhahir ar-riwaayah for us hanafis). This is why their madha-hib did not survive.

An interesting feature of the hanafi madh-hab is that it was largely based on the ijtihaad of sayyiduna 'AbduLlah b. Mas'ud, but also sayyiduna 'Ali radhiy Allah 'anhumaa, owing to its birth in the city of Kufa.

was-salam
Salam Aleykum,

Ja'afar (rah) did have a Madhab trust me but it never saw the light.

As for the brother who said that if these madhabs were still around we might have known about them, that's true and this is why I asked hehe, listen to this quote from Sheikh al-Islam:

واما الائمة المذكورون فمن سادات ائمة الاسلام فان الثوري امام اهل العراق وهو عند اكثرهم اجل من اقرانه كابن ابى ليلى والحسن بن صالح بن حي وابى حنيفة وغيره وله مذهب باق الى اليوم بأرض خراسان link: http://english.islamweb.net/newlibra..._no=22&ID=2135

He is talking about the Madhab of al-Thawri the Imam of ahlul-'Iraq and he says "And he has a Madhab which is still practised upon until this day in the land of Khurasan".

Now Ibn Tayymiyah (rah) was born in 661 Hijri, and al-Thawri (rah) died in 161 hijri as I mentioned so his madhab lived on for quite a while and since I have no idea about Khurasan I wouldn't know if any followers or books still exist there.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
IdomeoreTew

Believe it or not there was a Madhab of "Ahlul-Hadith" in al-Andalus which was replacing the Maliki Madhab there, the one who spread it seems to have been Baqi ibn Makhlad al-Qurtubi author of the Musnad and the Tafseer and the student of Ahmad ibn Hanbal... basically he went from al-Andalus to the Arabian peninsula and collected literally around 30,000 Hadiths and then went back and introduced them in his home land and suddenly the people were introduced to a huge amount of narrations they never heard of so some of the scholars became angry and wanted to put him on trial.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
tsamprasxx

Walakum As Salam Wa Rahmtullah

Brother the reason why these madhabs do not exist is because there is no authentic chain leading back to any of the madhabs except the four which exist today. Also many of the now dead madhabs didn't have any of their rulings preserved. I think Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali (Rahimullah) states that there is ijma that only the four madhabs will exist until the Day of Judgement. The book is available on sunniforums, you'll just have to search under the indepth fiqh section of the forums.

Also Baqi ibn Makhlad al-Qurtubi was placed on trial for one reason only. He was causing social fragmentation between the masses. The usul of the Maliki madhab states that the sunna is not just hadith but it also includes what was practiced in Medina before and during the Malik (Rahimullah). Imam Malik was not concerned with the actual reports of hadith, he was more concerned with fiqh or correct understanding of such reports.

This is why in manu instances our madhab has gone against a specific hadith because we believe that the practise (amal) is stronger and the amal was taken as a better indicator of sunna than hadith. Ibn Rushd (Rahimullah) mentions this in his Bayan.

Baqi ibn Makhlad al-Qurtubi went preaching against that normative practise. Sedition set in between the masses and to prevent discord some people decided to launch a judical complaint against him and his actions.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #11
Z3s9vQZj

As-salamu ´alaykum,

Imam An-Nawawi (rahmatuLlahi ´alayh) talked of the 5 madhahhib, Maliki, Hanafi, Shafi’i, Hanbali and Thawri (that of Abu Thawr). Some ´ulama mentioned the madhhab of Abu Thawr while leaving out for example that of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal. So the talk of the 4 was not always the case. But they are the ones that lasted through time due to various reasons. Some being that ´ulama found the others superior, but also due to political alliances and what not. But there was also the madhhab of Sufyan Al-Thawri, and Layth bin Sa'd, Awza’i, Ibn Jarir At-Tabari, who were mainly replaced by the Shafi'i school. There were many other Mujtahids who could have had schools, but due to various reasons.

As for the Dhahiri “madhhab”, well it was known for two things: 1) Anti-Qiyas, 2) Anti-Taqlid. Because of this second point, it could never flourish and become a madhhab in the sense we know it today.

wassalam

Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
BalaGire

I heard that the Dhahiri madhab was pretty big in Andalus but it all died out now. You can't even revive it because you need a living chain (i.e. scholars) rather than just picking up the books and implementing what you find in them. Dhahiri madhab was really literalist too because of the lack of even basic analogy

Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
expomeHattePe

Assalamu alaikum,

I'm married to a zahari revivalist. While he doesn't label himself as such, AbuS' sheikh from Egypt introduced him to the works of ibn Hazm and from that, he does most of his research.

It's...interesting. Yeah, interesting.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
Z1IRo4Ap

I heard that the Dhahiri madhab was pretty big in Andalus but it all died out now. You can't even revive it because you need a living chain (i.e. scholars) rather than just picking up the books and implementing what you find in them. Dhahiri madhab was really literalist too because of the lack of even basic analogy

There are still living Dhaahiri scholars in Saudi, I mean ones who actually say that they follow the Dhaahiri Madhab, I'm not talking about the Hanbalis.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
Slonopotam845

Actually, one of the unique things about the Dhahiri madhhab is that many of its scholars adopted the madhhab from reading books about it, since there was a great scarcity of Dhahiri shuyukh to transmit the madhhab. Ibn Hazm (rahimahullah) the most famous Dhahiri, actually learned the madhhab from books. His education from shuyukh was in the Maliki and Shafi'i madhhabs.

And as pointed out, there are Dhahiri-revivalist scholars in Saudi. I've heard of one in al-Hasa.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
IdomeoreTew

The main reasons why Madhabs are preserved are writing writing writing...

If it's not written it shall be lost sooner or later.

Here are some of the Madhabs I came across while reading related articles:

1- Madhab 'Abdullah Ibn Mas'oud d.32
2- Madhab Umm al-Mumineen 'Aisha d.57
3- Madhab 'Abdullah Ibn 'Umar ibn al-Khattab d.73
4- Madhab 'Umar bin 'Abdul-'Aziz bin Marwan bin al-Hakam d.101
5- Madhab Ibn Jabr Mujahid died after the 100th year after hijra
6- Madhab 'Amir al-Sha'abi died after the 100th year after hijra
7- Madhab Ibn abi Rabah 'Ataa d.114
8- Madhab Suleiman ibn Mahran al-A'amash died between 147 and 148 hijri
9- Madhab al-Nu'uman ibn Thabit Abu Hanifa d.150
10- Madhab 'Abdul-Rahman ibn 'Amro al-Ouza'ee d.157
11- Madhab Suffiyan al-Thawri d.161
12- Madhab al-Layth ibn Sa'ad d.175
13- Madhab Malik ibn Anas d.179
14- Madhab Suffiyan ibn 'Uyaynah d.198
15- Madhab Muhammad ibn Idris al-Shafi'i d.204
16- Madhab Ishaq ibn Ibrahim ibn Rahaweih d.238
17- Madhab Ahmad ibn Hanbal d.241
18- Madhab Dawoud ibn 'Ali al-Dhahiri d.270
19- Madhab Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari d.310

Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #17
wbeachcomber

was-salam

I thought you were Shafi`?

Anyways, I know a lot of people are mentioning the Dhahiri Madhab being big in Andalus, but, as far as I know this isn't true, and, in fact, one of the reasons Ibn Hazm was so unpopular was because he was adamantly against the four Madhahib and trying to propagate an unpopular alternative.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #18
Mjxhnapi

I thought you were Shafi`? Have you never noticed the 'hanafi' tag under my username? I take an interest in the shafi'i madh-hab, but in terms of my own practice, I'm a hanafi.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #19
IdomeoreTew

Have you never noticed the 'hanafi' tag under my username? I take an interest in the shafi'i madh-hab, but in terms of my own practice, I'm a hanafi.
Salam Aleykum,

You always post images of the Habaib in Yemen so I thought you lived there, al-Jafri and the others aren't they all Shafi'i?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #20
wbeachcomber

Have you never noticed the 'hanafi' tag under my username? I take an interest in the shafi'i madh-hab, but in terms of my own practice, I'm a hanafi.

I always thought it said Shafi`! I guess I need to be more careful in my reading.

Reply to Thread New Thread