LOGO
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Prosocorneliay

Default How should we view The Salafis and Salafism
I wanted to know how people felt about Salafis. I have strong ambiguous feelings about the group. Very strong I would say.

At times I go into a mode thinking this group represent Umar r.a. out to demolish every innovation with rigid principalism and purify Islam. I admire that they are particularly obsessed about Tawheed almost fanatically. I think every Muslim group is now on its toes ensuring that anything they propagate doesnot conflict with Tawheed. I also am particularly impressed by their scholarly views on Jihad and I was surprised that this group which most see as a fundamentalist bedrock is actually very articulate, clear and distinct about the valid Jihad and invalid Jihad and many of the salafi scholars condemn Bin Ladin. To quote one of their imams who was answering a question wether bin laden is a mujahid or a deviant "yes, bin laden is a mujahid however he is doing jihad in the path of shaytaan".

At times I think they are out to disunite the ummah and every other muslim following/propagating non-salafism now is a mubtadih/mushrik or one ignorant in hadith and harmful to society. Their slogans and propaganda of 'there is no unity on deviancy' and things like these upset me. Another trait I dont like about them and a trait in various other groups is pharisee-ism which is particularly strong in the saudi salafis. That self righteous outlook which characterizes saudi society - the imposed dresscode, the treatment and suprression of women, the muttawa and the way they view others outside their creed and ethnic group. Another trait I dont admire which probably most here do admire is their aggression to shias. My view on shias is complex but eventually they are Muslims with whom we need to sympathize and recconcile and that view I think is beneficial for the Ummah.

I know there are various threads touching upon the salafis in this forum mostly negative. But how should the Sunni Hanafis, inspired by scholarship of deoband view the salafis knowing very well that their creed is more non-accomodating of other Muslim groups than any other creed. Should we regard Salafis as our most closest brothers in faith as ones who have restored Tawhid and keep Bid'ah in check or that Muslims were always aware of the importance of Monotheism. Should we view them as just loud mouths out to condemn the diversity of Muslims and fragment it to the point of enmity with each other or should we view that as an inadvertent consequence of their sincere creed and methodology. WE also share some of their traits in how we treat our barelwi brethren despite them having some dedicated members in their scholarly body also like Tahir-ul-qadri, I think however we are still generally more tolerant and more inclined to unity which is a strong and good Islamic trait.

I am just writing this thread as am I want to clarify when I encounter or see Salafis what should my impression be about them. I usually tell people salafis are overall good but they are not the best and have mistakes like many other groups. Is that an adequate way to view them.