Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
eEwbYjOH

Default Officials: Pets as dangerous as texting to drivers
Officials: Pets as dangerous as texting to drivers

By Jason Claffey
jclaffey@fosters.com
Saturday, August 21, 2010

KITTERY, Maine — It's the latest pet peeve: DUI-P — Driving Under the Influence of Pets.

A survey released by AAA this week found nearly one-third of dog owners admitted to being distracted when having their animal in the car. Twenty-one percent of drivers allowed their dog to sit on their laps — a big no-no, according to law enforcement officials. And some even admitted to feeding their dog or playing with it while in motion.

"Drivers not only love to bring Fido along, but they also often engage in risky behaviors when man's best friend is along for the ride," said AAA Northern New England spokesman Pat Moody. "Looking away from the road for only two seconds doubles your risk of being in a crash."

Police said DUI-P is just as dangerous as texting. They advise owners to put dogs in a crate and refrain from having them as co-pilots.

"They belong in the back seat, not in the front seat," said Kittery police Sgt. Gary Eaton. "If you have a crate, put them in it."

Eaton said he can remember responding to several accidents stemming from drivers who were distracted by a pet.

A New Hampshire State Police spokesman said while dogs may seem to enjoy sitting on a driver's lap with their head sticking out the window, the risks are not worth it.

"If the dog sees a cat or something that catches his interest, what's going to prevent the dog from leaping out?"

Moody noted an unrestrained dog in a 30 mph crash has the same force as a 2,400-pound projectile.

"Imagine the devastation that impact can cause to your pet and anyone in the vehicle in its path," he said.

Many states, including New Hampshire and Maine, have laws discouraging drivers from playing with pets in the front seat. Fines can be hefty.

Maine's recent distracted driving law can levy up to a $500 fine, while New Hampshire's obstructed and negligent driving statutes can impose a $75-250 fine.

In 2008, California legislators passed a bill that would have imposed a $35 fine for drivers caught with a pet in their lap. It was nicknamed the "Paris Hilton bill" after the hotel heiress was one of several celebrities caught with their dogs in the front seat. Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger eventually vetoed the bill after critics called it an unnecessary government intrusion.

The AAA survey was conducted in conjunction with Kurgo, a Salisbury, Mass.-based business that sells pet travel products. Its "Skybox Booster Seat" for smaller dogs is recommended by AAA for securing the pets on car rides.

Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME

Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
GoblinGaga

I know I have been distracted by the pooches. Hence why I hate taking them places by myself.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Gazeboss

My dogs sleep in the back of my hatchback while I drive. If I had room for crates they'd be in crates. That's why in the next few years I'll be getting a 'dog car', unfortunately 1 car insurance payment is enough for now.
If they EVER acted up, I would pull over and give them a good 'talking to'. But they're always perfect angels in the car.
The other day I literally watched a dog jump out of a car window to get to Lily. It was tied to something in the car and was kind of hanging/choking next to the car. Luckily the car was stopped, or else those owners would not have fun cleaning up that mess or dealing with the fact that they let their dog kill itself.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
MinisuipGaicai

My boy has to ride in the front seat but he must sit still. He used to just lay on the floor and sleep but recently hes taken to sitting on the seat like a human and watching the sights. Hes very calm in the car so I do allow him to sit up on the seat but if he tries to stand up hes on the floor with a simple 'off' and I never need to look away from driving. I have my son in the back seat and do not want my dog in the back with my son. That would be more of a distraction for me because I would constantly be looking back trying to make sure he isnt licking my sons face and making sure hes behaving, theres also just not much room back there with my sons carseat. My windows are never down though. I think thats just crazy personally. Yet I see people with loose dogs in their cars with their windows completely down....

Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
joeyCanada

Texting while driving is way more dangerous. Its almost the same as driving and reading the newspaper at the same time. What pisses me off is seeing people driving with pocket pooches on their lap. I live in the land of laws, almost everything is illegal in Ca. but somehow that one slipped through the cracks.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
mloversia

Rhys can get excited while driving but he knows my seat is totally off limits- he must stay in back or in passenger seat. I have my windows adjusted so he can get his head out, but only his head. I don't really worry about him while driving, but in my next car I do want to get one of those dividers so that he has to stay in the backseat.

Darn... need to sell the motorcycle so I can get a new car soon!!

Reply to Thread New Thread