LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
mesZibeds

Default Non-working breeds
I watched a show tonight and try to keep up on the original purpose of breeds so I was just wondering what breeds have no other purpose than looks?

The breed who prompted my search was the Yorkshire Terrier and I found nothing in their history about working...how many other breeds are non-working AND does anyone know if the Yorkshire had a purpose?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
gnusnich

I'd imagine that they were bred to chase down small game...but lookine at the yorkies today, i can't see it....

Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
rNr5Di3S

Yorkies were bred to kill rats, lower class people kept them to get rid of the rodents.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
Pelefaifs

I was just wondering what breeds have no other purpose than looks?
The American Bully

Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
grubnismarl

I watched a show tonight and try to keep up on the original purpose of breeds so I was just wondering what breeds have no other purpose than looks?

The breed who prompted my search was the Yorkshire Terrier and I found nothing in their history about working...how many other breeds are non-working AND does anyone know if the Yorkshire had a purpose?

Yes.They were ratters. see here(AKC website).......

Named for the English city from which they originally hail, Yorkshire Terriers were used in the nineteenth century to catch rats in clothing mills. Surprisingly enough, in its beginnings, the Yorkie belonged to the working class, especially the weavers; in fact, facetious comments were often made about how the dogs' fine, silky coats were the ultimate product of the looms. Eventually, the breed left the workforce and became a companion animal to families of European high society.

read more on the yorkie........

http://www.akc.org/breeds/yorkshire_terrier/index.cfm

by ''no other purpose other than looks'' i take it as meaning solely companion type dogs?

bred solely for companionship breeds, see here.........

http://www.akc.org/breeds/toy_group.cfm

Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
ovenco

Like a few people mentioned yorkies were ratters.

On the topic of dogs that weren't bred to work, would French Bulldogs be one? I know they were bred to be small companion dogs but IMO that isn't much work.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
Nptxsews

I read once that French Bulldogs were walked by prostitutes in France so people could approach them pretending to have the intent of asking about the silly little dog to an observer, but really be soliciting prostitution. Not sure if that's correct though. Wish I could remember where I found it.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #8
TerAlelmlor

To be honest, the only one that comes to mind would be the american bully and the english bulldog of today.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
Frannypaync

What about pugs? I don't think they have a purpose...other than to be cute.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
Gymnarnemia

uhm well this is going off my memory... Powderpuff chinese cresteds were bred to be foot warmers for chinese royalty. Dalmations are worthless pieces of sh*t. The boston terrier was probably useless too. And the lhasa apso (sp) - I think it was bred to just be showy, not for purpose.

I think non-working dogs are poor pets.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
pIp83Uns

uhm well this is going off my memory... Powderpuff chinese cresteds were bred to be foot warmers for chinese royalty. Dalmations are worthless pieces of sh*t. The boston terrier was probably useless too. And the lhasa apso (sp) - I think it was bred to just be showy, not for purpose.

Wrong

The Dalmatian WAS a working breed!
The FCI recognized as its country of origin the region of Dalmatia in the Republic of Croatia, citing Bewick's 1792 work.
Previously, Yugoslavia was recognized by the F.C.I. as the country of origin of the Dalmatian; the breed had been developed and cultivated chiefly in England. When the dog with the distinctive markings was first shown in England in 1862 it was said to have been used by the frontier guards of Dalmatia as a guard dog. But nothing is definitely known about its origin. The breed has become widely distributed over the continent of Europe since 1920. Its unusual markings were often mentioned by the old writers on cynology.[5]
The duties of this ancient breed are as varied as their reputed ancestors. They were used as dogs of war, guarding the borders of Dalmatia. To this day, the breed retains a high guarding instinct; although friendly and loyal to those the dog knows and trusts, it is often aloof with strangers and unknown dogs. Dalmatians have a strong hunting instinct and are an excellent exterminator of rats and vermin. In sporting, they have been used as bird dogs, trail hounds, retrievers, or in packs for boar or stag hunting. Their dramatic markings and intelligence have made them successful circus dogs throughout the years. Dalmatians are perhaps best known for their role as a fire-apparatus follower and as a firehouse mascot.
However, the Dalmatian's most important task has been his role as a coach or carriage dog, so called because they were formerly used to run in attendance of a coach.[6] To this day, Dalmatians retain a strong affinity for horses, often naturally falling in behind a horse and cart in perfect position. The strong-bodied, clean-cut and athletic build of the Dalmatians reflects their years as a coach dog, although they are rarely used in this capacity today. Their physical make-up is still ideally suited to road work. Like its ancestors, the modern Dalmatian is an energetic dog, with unlimited energy and stamina.

A black-spotted Dalmatian female

Particularly in the United States, the use of Dalmatians as carriage dogs was transferred to horse-drawn fire engines, although it is unclear why this link was not made in other countries. Today the Dalmatian serves as a firehouse mascot but, back in the days of horse-drawn fire carts, they provided a valuable service. Dalmatians and horses are very compatible, so the dogs were easily trained to run in front of the carriages to help clear a path and quickly guide the horses and firefighters to the fires. Dalmatians are often considered to make good watchdogs and it is believed that Dalmatians may have been useful to fire brigades as guard dogs to protect a firehouse and its equipment. Fire engines used to be drawn by fast and powerful horses, a tempting target for thieves, so Dalmatians were kept in the firehouse as deterrence to theft. The horses have long since gone, but the Dalmatians, by tradition, have stayed. As a result, in the United States, Dalmatians are commonly known as firehouse dogs. Dalmatians are still chosen by many firefighters as pets, in honor of their heroism in the past.
The Dalmatian is also associated, particularly in the United States, with Budweiser beer and the Busch Gardens theme parks, since the Anheuser-Busch company's iconic beer wagon, drawn by a team of Clydesdale horses, is always accompanied by a Dalmatian carriage dog. The company maintains several teams at various locations, which tour extensively. According to Anheuser-Busch's website, Dalmatians were historically used by brewers to guard the wagon while the driver was making deliveries.

And Lhasa Apsos were used as alert dogs

The Lhasa Apso originated in Tibet, where they were bred as sentinels for palaces and monasteries. In the early 1900s, a few of the breed were brought by military men returning from the Indian subcontinent to England, where the breed was referred to as "Lhasa Terriers". Lhasa Apsos would alert outdoor dogs, such as the Tibetan Mastiff, of any danger they perceived their owners, Tibetan Lamas, may be in with their keen sense of hearing and deep bark. In this sense, Lhasa Apsos are used to working with larger dogs and may relate to them more than small "yappy" dogs.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
xkQCaS4w

As Muttkip posted Dallys did have a purpose at one time. They still have 'show' type things where the owner rides a horse and the dally, while off leash, needs to remain within one horse length of the horse in any direction without being told to do so. They do it through trails and there are 'check points' where people are 'hiding' in the trees/bushes and they will check on how the dog is working with the horse as you pass and make note of it or they will ask you to do certain things on your horse at unhidden points and see how well the dog stays with the horse without being told. I dont remember all the details (I used to dream of doing that with my dally when I was younger as Im a horse fan and she loved horses also. She walked great on a leash untill a horse came around, then she would drag whoever had her over to see any horses out on the trails. Most peoples horses liked dogs so she would always stand on her back legs and nuzzle with the horses)

I believe Pugs has a purpose back in the day as well. I read/saw a show (I forget which) that they would sit in the sleeves of the chinese royalty waiting to pop out and attack or soemthing along those lines.. I just remember they would sit in the large sleeves of the chinese royalty (assuming what I read/saw was true, I want to say it was a dog breed show on animal planet.. so who knows for sure LOL)

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

My MILS sister has a Boston Terrier... according to her/her hubby Bostons were bred as companion dogs. Not sure if thats true or not though.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
TerAlelmlor

Chinese Cresteds were bred to be more than just foot warmers, they were bred for watchdog duties as they would alert the royalty of would be intruders and those about to enter their homes. They would also keep vermin out of the royalty's bedroom.

Dalmations were used as guard dogs as well as draft dogs

Boston terriers were used as gamedogs and before the show world, these dogs actually proved their worth. They were called round heads and melon heads.

The Lhasa Apso are believed by Tibetan Monks to ward off evil spirits and bad luck with their bark as well as alerting the palace monks of intruders and danger.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

I believe Pugs has a purpose back in the day as well. I read/saw a show (I forget which) that they would sit in the sleeves of the chinese royalty waiting to pop out and attack or soemthing along those lines.. I just remember they would sit in the large sleeves of the chinese royalty (assuming what I read/saw was true, I want to say it was a dog breed show on animal planet.. so who knows for sure LOL)

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------
Pugs were used in China as fighting dogs along with the shar pei. Pugs were also used as ratters.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
zzarratusstra

American Bully,English Bulldog,Japanese Chin.I'm sure there are more but I think the thing they all have in common is that they are mainly deformed.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
Czrzftmz

french bull dogs were used by women workers back in the day to take them to work with them. i dont know if there is a breed that had no purpose (i think they were all created for something), maybe the chihuahua?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
cookiemonster

Don't worry, the goal of the AKC, UKC, and all the others is to have every breed of dog just bred for looks and nothing else.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Czrzftmz

yup exactly.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
Annewsded

Hucklebutt wrote: "maybe the chihuahua?"

LOL, Hey lay off "Yo Ghetto Taco Bell!"
I think they were bred just to be annoying and sell American Mexican Food?
(Actually, I have known some pretty awesome chihuahuas.)

Seriously, I'm thinking the only breed of dogs that had no purpose at all (and it is questionable that they would be considered breeds) would be the designer breeds.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
mesZibeds

Don't worry, the goal of the AKC, UKC, and all the others is to have every breed of dog just bred for looks and nothing else.
yep! Lord knows if a dog doesnt have papers its useless

Old 11-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
Gymnarnemia

If you consider barking a job, then I guess I would agree that all dogs are working breeds.

Reply to Thread New Thread