LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Nzmoafzn

Default Need terms defined
I keep seeing terms like Bandog and Cur used here and on another forum I go to. What is a Cur and what is a Bandog?

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Oh, and WTH is a "pibble"? Never heard it before here, but I would guess some baby talk for Pit Bull? Why not just say "Pit Bull"?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
extessarere

A bandog is a cross between a mastiff and usually a bull breed. Have a look for Swinford bandogs as they seem to be what people base their ideas off.

A cur is a dog that quits. It can also be used for other reasons but that is the main one.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
bestworkother

....unless someone's talking about hunting dogs when they mention "Cur:"

Black Mouth Cur
Catahoula Cur
Cracker Cur
Kemmer Cur

etc.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Styparty

Oh, and WTH is a "pibble"? Never heard it before here, but I would guess some baby talk for Pit Bull? Why not just say "Pit Bull"?
Yeah, it's the term that many of the furmommies use for their "Pit Bulls". It's because they're ashamed of the breed's history and think that "Pit Bull" enforces negative stereotypes about the breed. These are also the people who think "it's how you raise them" and take Fluffy to the dog park every weekend.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Automobill

Yeah, it's the term that many of the furmommies use for their "Pit Bulls". It's because they're ashamed of the breed's history and think that "Pit Bull" enforces negative stereotypes about the breed. These are also the people who think "it's how you raise them" and take Fluffy to the dog park every weekend.
half truths abound.... and communication/understanding is more important that what term you choose to use, what ever you use, the other person must understand it the same way....
while pibble is a term that i do not use, some nice folks who are responsible owners do....and their care and concern for their dogs is not diminished for it..

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Fainnamoony

Haha my hubby calles Harley a 'pibble' when hes lovingly insulting him, usually after he squats to pee then takes off runing and barking like a chi (making himself look like a sissy dog basically, so pibble fits) but its used as a loving insult for us when our 'pit bull' is acting farthest from the vicious man eater hes supposed to be.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
LongaDonga

I always thought "pibble" was a bastardization of the term "pit bull." Kind of like "ret ret noze" (red/rednose), "rock wilder" (rottweiler), or "dover man" (doberman). lol.

Blessings ...

Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Nzmoafzn

Ok, so whats a cur when referring to a huntin dawg?

Thanks for the definations

Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
extessarere

Different breeds. But it can also mean mongrel.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Nzmoafzn

So a mixed breed dog that hunts well is called a cur? Cur = mutt with skill in this case?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
extessarere

Any mixed breed dog can be called a cur dog. They can be good or bad at whatever. The hunting dogs have it as part of the name of the breed.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
bestworkother

Any mixed breed dog is considered a "cur" or a mongrel. However, there are hunters that have bred particular mixes together to create what is now known as a _____ Cur (or other names such as "Blue Lacy.") The _____ indicates a name such as Black mouth Cur, etc.

It would be like breeding a Labrador and a Poodle together (remember back in the day we'd call them "mutts?")...........and then calling it a Labradoodle.

So when ____ Cur applies to a hunting dog is a mixed breed that was bred for a purpose in a particular region/for a particular quarry.

This website goes into a little more detail about Curs:

http://www.blackmouthcur.com/History.htm

Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
LongaDonga

In the pit bull world I have found that the word "cur" is used to describe either a pit bull that quit OR any non-pit bull breed of dog.

Down where I am at mixed breeds are usually called "sooners" or "soup hounds," but cur is reserved for hunting dogs (Black Mouth Cur, etc.) or pit bulls that quit.

Blessings ...

Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Nzmoafzn

Thanks, guys!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
bestworkother

Down where I am at mixed breeds are usually called "sooners" or "soup hounds," but cur is reserved for hunting dogs (Black Mouth Cur, etc.) or pit bulls that quit.

Blessings ...
Yep - "sooners" and "soup hounds" here, too....also "biscuit eaters."

Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
nd90t3sf

Hey, I call Lucy a "pibble" sometimes, I wouldn't call myself a fur mommy whose toting their little ankle biters and their "pibblty wibblity exception to the breed" to the dog park.

But I also call Lucy a slut and a financial drain more than I call her a pibble.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Also, if you really want to know about bandogs, talk to DirtyDeeDog.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
LongaDonga

Yep - "sooners" and "soup hounds" here, too....also "biscuit eaters."
lol, yep they use "biscuit eaters" here as well, along with other names like pot lickers & sh!t hounds. But sooner & soup hound are most common. Boy, it's tough being a mutt!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
Nzmoafzn

My former father in law was a sharecropper from NC growing up. He called his Lab mix a "sooner". I asked him once and he said " The sooner he's dead, the better" lol. He loved that dog, actually, and was very sad at his passing.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #19
tearidrusydet

At times I call Beastley a "pibble" but by no means am I ashamed of him. In no way do I try to detract from the beauty and love for the breed. It seems to be a faster way of saying pit bull because I talk fast.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #20
nd90t3sf

At times I call Beastley a "pibble" but by no means am I ashamed of him. In no way do I try to detract from the beauty and love for the breed. It seems to be a faster way of saying pit bull because I talk fast.
I mumble a lot, so a lot of the times it sounds like pibble.

Beastley! I love that name!

Reply to Thread New Thread