LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
intmarkworkk

well thanks everyone for your inputs and advice.....but my boy started showing aggression towards my girl so i dont think this is going to be an option for me. still love them both.....

Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
intmarkworkk

Default Thinking about it.....need some inputs
so im thinking about buying one of these couplers for walking my dogs. im NOT having a hard time walking both my dogs at the same time, its just the idea of just using one hand vise two gives a little more joy when i think about walking my dogs. realisticly....how efective are these? i already have both of them walking perfectly by my side. neither one pulls the chain or anything. please tell me what you think. is it worth spending from 10 to 20 dollars, or is this the most rediculous thinf youve ever seen?

http://www.herm-sprenger-collars-sto...e-HS90_LRG.jpg

-thanks-

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

example

but both would be at one side unlike this smart lady and her dogs. and not as long of a coupler as she has. something shorter

Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Krruqgwt

That's what I walk mine on, but it depends on the dogs. If mine had any aggression towards each other, I wouldn't do it.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
HitAttetlyTek

I use a coupler on occasion, though it can be hard to keep the dogs under control in a tough situation, unless you grab each part of the coupler to control each dog individually. Corrections are also hard to deal out to the correct dog. lol. But I use a short coupler (like 6") and a traffic lead, and it works out ok. Especially when I often walk 4 dogs at a time.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
DiatryDal

I use a leather coupler when I walk Duncan and Dilly. It works amazingly well

Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Nzmoafzn

I have also been thinking about a coupler. Currently, my husband and I walk the dogs together. He will have to go over the road at some point in the near future and I will be alone with the dogs then, so I need a solution because two leashes kinda sucks and get tangled. I have been trying to find a nice chrome one to match my leashes and Rita's collar.

Brother used a coupler to stop pulling. Trinity walks beautifully, but Sid pulls like he thinks he's a sled dog. Tried everything including a Gentle Leader and never could train him out of it. He got a coupler and for some reason Sid walks beautifully next to Trinity and no longer pulls.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
durootrium

I use a coupler. I made my own, I just bought the materials from the hardware store. Ended up coasting me about $20, but its all custom this way, lol.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Assunkkensatt

I like the short O ring and 1" leather tabs with connectors ones. I have the long one but even though it is adjustable it ends up being way too long, so good for like hiking and loose leash but not if you want your dogs at your side.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Nzmoafzn

I use a coupler. I made my own, I just bought the materials from the hardware store. Ended up coasting me about $20, but its all custom this way, lol.
Got a pic and instructions? Sounds like something I might do as I haven't found one I like.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
LindaSmithXV

I wouldn't recommend it but that's just me, there's too many cons over pros if you look at the neg and pos aspects of it. Especially with a breed that's known for being DA. Hopefully we all know about Redirected Aggression and its more likely to happen when one dog is always in the other ones space. When for what ever reason it does happen, you now have to try and separate and secure 2 dogs with only one leash. You can pretty much forget about it if you're approached by a stray dog and a fight breaks out. Now its three dogs fighting instead of just 2, good luck breaking that up before any serious damage occurs with break sticks or not.

Just as what was stated before even if nothing bad happens its harder to correct the right dog. If they're not responding to verbal commands then a leash correction is out of the question.

I tried it a few years back with 2 of mine on one of those couple leashes. My male redirected on to my female. Even though there was no broken skin or blood shed when I separated them,...I won't do that again. Now that I have 2 males I don't walk them at the same time at all through my neighborhood. If for what ever reason I decided to they would both have their own leash. Yes,...there's still the potential for redirection but I have way more control over the situation. If not there's 2 of us and each one has a dog or I just walk'em one at a time.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

If that's the way you want to go, I would use 2 short leashes you could connect to the ring. That way one can be removed and still secured at any time.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
zithromaxlinks

It really depends on the dogs I would say.
Some dogs don't fancy walking right next to one another, some don't care.

I personally wouldn't use one, but I don't trust myself to hold on to two dogs at once.
I am not very big and I see a case of bad road-rash if both dogs saw a crow or squirrel at the wrong time.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Boveosteors

I can use a coupler with Hobie and Red and do sometimes. They get along well enough that there are no issues.

Now, Judge and Red....no WAY...they will redirect on each other when another dog comes out or they both act up and try to eat it etc. Not fun!

Judge and Hobie...there'd be no freaking way that I would walk them together for more than a few feet.....well, IF I could be guaranteed that there would be no other dogs around.

Judge gets walked by himself a lot.....he is an asshole. Really, he is just an awesome working dog and an ok pet dog.

I also have a strong belt that I wear and attach the leash to, so I am hands free with them in case another dog comes out.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
durootrium

Got a pic and instructions? Sounds like something I might do as I haven't found one I like.
Surely, let me get it on the dogs and take a few pictures for you.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Nzmoafzn

Woohoo, thanks in advance! Ike and Rita actually prefer walking next to each other and having a coupler that I trust and like would make things so much easier!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
Mjxhnapi

I used to use one with Venus and Marz. They did really well with it although one time I did have to yank them out of the way of an on coming car that didn't think a pedestrian crossing was anything to acknowledge and I clunked their heads together pretty good.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #16
durootrium

I did take pictures last night, haha...but the wind was blowing so hard my sat internet didn't want to work well enough for me to upload the pics. Hopefully tonight!

Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #17
durootrium

Ok, here are the pictures. I haven't used it in a while, I bought new hardware to replace the rope clamps and the swivel, heavier stuff. I just can't seem to find the time to change everything, lol!

Anyway, the rope is mountain climber rope that I bought from Ace Hardware. I bought enough to make two handles. One is 1 foot long, the other is four feet long. Each leash attachment is four feet.

Here is a shot of the 'center', where I hook both the handle and the two connector leads. I have an O-ring, a quick link, and a swivel as far as hardware goes. The rope clamps are cheesy, but they are the only ones the hardware store carried, so I had to order them online.

A close up of the type of snaps I'm using. They are made for horse leads, they can bear up to 350lbs--that's what the tag said, anyway

And just because, a picture of the handle loop

And a shot of the two nearest dogs I nabbed to hook up for the picture. Although I don't walk these two together very often, they worked well enough for posing!

Reply to Thread New Thread