View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Amorsesombabs

I have not gone either way yet.. To be honest im leaning towards getting another still.. I wont know unless i give it a try..
Wait a minute...

See...you don't "give it a try", that's the thing. If you choose to get another dog, that dog is a LIFETIME commitment. It doesn't mean you get another dog knowing FULL WELL the likelihood of there being issues down the road, and then "give it a try" only to get rid of it later when things go wrong.

What I always tell folks who are considering a second dog is first what to expect as far as potential dog aggression is concerned, and then, most importantly, if they are willing to keep both dogs even if they hate each other and must be kept separate 24/7, THEN and only then, should you consider getting another.

If you know (or even think you might) get rid of one if things go badly, then you should NOT get another dog. No exceptions.

Especially when it concerns behaviors that are a huge breed trait.

It's like getting a greyhound knowing full well their desire to chase and kill small furry things when you own house rabbits and then getting rid of it when it goes after one.

Or getting a rat terrier knowing they are bred to kill rats when you keep pet rats, and getting rid of it when it wants to eat them.

Or getting a bloodhound knowing that they will follow a scent and must be kept contained when you don't have a fenced yard, and then getting rid of it because it won't stay in the yard when you let it out alone.