LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Efonukmp

its not that i would ignore it...i dont have a choice. I dont have a big backyard at this time so i take her to the park so that she can run around and exercise.

This is where im confused...i understand that they may all derive from the BULLDOG...but she's an american staffordshire terrier. From everything that was presented to me and that ive researched they are not as likely to show aggression. Again, i would love to have a big yard for her to run around and have it for herself along with maybe another dog but at this time i do not have this.
I'm sorry but lots of people with bullies don't have a big yard. Are your legs broken? Are you somehow disabled to the point you cannot physically walk your dog? Get a 20 foot lead and find a public park.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
mitiaycatq

I'm sorry but lots of people with bullies don't have a big yard. Are your legs broken? Are you somehow disabled to the point you cannot physically walk your dog? Get a 20 foot lead and find a public park.
Are my legs broken? No, they're not thanks...i dont understand the point of your post aside from trying to get a reaction out of me. She seems to enjoy running around the park a lot more.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
Adamanta

Are my legs broken? No, they're not thanks...i dont understand the point of your post aside from trying to get a reaction out of me. She seems to enjoy running around the park a lot more.
Same thing I say to my 14 year old when he asks me to do something he can do. Are you arms broken? No. Legs? No. Then go do it yourself.

My point was this:

You are purposely putting your dog in a dangerous situation. EVERYONE is telling you that. Even if your dog is good as gold.. if another dog were to get ahold of him and he reacts WHO do you think will get blamed? Not the poodle. Not the golden. Not the lab. Your dog.

If you read the entire sticky on dog parks and the entire sticky on bull dogs fighting, which contains real and horrible stories told by members here, and you STILL want to go the easy way out.. then all I can chalk it up to is laziness. Pure and simple.

There's a lot of good info to be had here. From my relatively short time here I noticed a trend: If you ask, then don't like the answer, members won't be so "soft" with you. Nobody wants to waste their time trying to help someone who has the absorbancy of a brick.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
jacknates

Same thing I say to my 14 year old when he asks me to do something he can do. Are you arms broken? No. Legs? No. Then go do it yourself.

My point was this:

You are purposely putting your dog in a dangerous situation. EVERYONE is telling you that. Even if your dog is good as gold.. if another dog were to get ahold of him and he reacts WHO do you think will get blamed? Not the poodle. Not the golden. Not the lab. Your dog.

If you read the entire sticky on dog parks and the entire sticky on bull dogs fighting, which contains real and horrible stories told by members here, and you STILL want to go the easy way out.. then all I can chalk it up to is laziness. Pure and simple.

There's a lot of good info to be had here. From my relatively short time here I noticed a trend: If you ask, then don't like the answer, members won't be so "soft" with you. Nobody wants to waste their time trying to help someone who has the absorbancy of a brick.
Maybe you did not read the initial post. At no point i asked if i should/should not take my dog to the park. This thread was only created to gather additional concerning multiple American Staff within a home.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
miel

Using the dog park as a primary form of exercise does play a role in deciding whether you get another dog though. What happens if the new dog ends up being aggressive towards other dogs, or even just selective. How are you going to exercise him without the use of the dog park? If you're not OK forgoing the dog park scene, I'd say not to get another dog.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
UvgpXK0J

Maybe you did not read the initial post. At no point i asked if i should/should not take my dog to the park. This thread was only created to gather additional concerning multiple American Staff within a home.
Yes.. you did. And since you can't seem to exercise ONE dog without a dog park. Don't get TWO!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #27
CefGemYAffews

Yes.. you did. And since you can't seem to exercise ONE dog without a dog park. Don't get TWO!
Its not worth arguing over this...ill see if i can find alternatives for Sky and hope that she enjoys it as much as she does when she hears "park". Ive seen a lot of owners here doing agility training and turning into games....maybe she can do that too. Im going to think about the pup and consider the possibility of rotating them if necessary.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
usadatronourl

Why do people ask for advice when they dont want to hear it...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #29
limpoporanique

bulldog is a term some dogmen use to refer to the apbt in this case thats how i am using it it dont matter if its a amstaff or a apbt they are basicly the same dog. sure a amstaff is less aggressive but that dont mean it wont turn hot. when i mean hot im saying DA. your pooch may never but always expect it to go down. a once of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #30
DJkillos

i wish i could take my do to the dog park but it would be a bloody massacre, course i always expect a bulldog to fight so i dont do it.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
Plaumpholavup

Its not worth arguing over this...ill see if i can find alternatives for Sky and hope that she enjoys it as much as she does when she hears "park". Ive seen a lot of owners here doing agility training and turning into games....maybe she can do that too. Im going to think about the pup and consider the possibility of rotating them if necessary.
Agility is great. So or other sports like weight pull. They also build a stronger bond between you and your dog as you will learn to communicate better and build trust.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #32
gastabegree

Boo Fucking Hoo..

I'm done.. BRAT!

Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
Saqwnht

I will never understand why people get so hostile when they are told dog parks are not good for this breed. Its a fact, deal with it. If you NEED a dog park to exercise a dog..you have no business having 2 dogs.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #34
TravelMan

I think its just disappointing for people is all.. Ill admit i miss the dog parks.. My boxers always had a blast and it was just fun to watch them play.. We happen to have some really nice ones here that i brought my pit to while she was a puppy like 3-5 months and she loved it.. On a good note i would say 50+ people who realized she was a PITBULL had a little change of opinion about the breed after seeing her as she was always said to be the happiest looking dog in the park with her smile and so playful and she would walk the sidewalk with the kids around the park cause she loves kids.. I wont bring her again now that shes 7mo, has full adult teeth, and may end up in a scuffle but she did do some good in her time while she was there i believe..

Old 06-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #35
BarBoss

I think its just disappointing for people is all.. Ill admit i miss the dog parks.. My boxers always had a blast and it was just fun to watch them play.. We happen to have some really nice ones here that i brought my pit to while she was a puppy like 3-5 months and she loved it.. On a good note i would say 50+ people who realized she was a PITBULL had a little change of opinion about the breed after seeing her as she was always said to be the happiest looking dog in the park with her smile and so playful and she would walk the sidewalk with the kids around the park cause she loves kids.. I wont bring her again now that shes 7mo, has full adult teeth, and may end up in a scuffle but she did do some good in her time while she was there i believe..
thats whats up its funny how some people who hate pitbulls change their way of thinking when the meet one. on a side note i would rather get bit buy adult teeth than the puppy teeth. i have a 25 pound bully that is 14 weeks old and his teeth are way to sharp. i cant wait for his big boy teeth.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #36
TheDoctor

Boo Fucking Hoo..

I'm done.. BRAT!
Seriously, get life! I can understand why you stay away from dog parks and its not because of your pets.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #37
DumbNelmcrece

I will never understand why people get so hostile when they are told dog parks are not good for this breed. Its a fact, deal with it. If you NEED a dog park to exercise a dog..you have no business having 2 dogs.
Are you sure im the one being hostile? really? Deezuhl is right, im just disappointed. I enjoy seeing my girl playing with the other dogs. She's happy and like a kid out there but as i said before i will look into the agility classes and see if that works out.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #38
AXGreg

get a treadmill they are great for exercise and you can get free ones on CL

Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #39
RsQhyZyR

get a treadmill they are great for exercise and you can get free ones on CL
Is that part of agility training? Im liking the weight pulling options...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Amorsesombabs

I have not gone either way yet.. To be honest im leaning towards getting another still.. I wont know unless i give it a try..
Wait a minute...

See...you don't "give it a try", that's the thing. If you choose to get another dog, that dog is a LIFETIME commitment. It doesn't mean you get another dog knowing FULL WELL the likelihood of there being issues down the road, and then "give it a try" only to get rid of it later when things go wrong.

What I always tell folks who are considering a second dog is first what to expect as far as potential dog aggression is concerned, and then, most importantly, if they are willing to keep both dogs even if they hate each other and must be kept separate 24/7, THEN and only then, should you consider getting another.

If you know (or even think you might) get rid of one if things go badly, then you should NOT get another dog. No exceptions.

Especially when it concerns behaviors that are a huge breed trait.

It's like getting a greyhound knowing full well their desire to chase and kill small furry things when you own house rabbits and then getting rid of it when it goes after one.

Or getting a rat terrier knowing they are bred to kill rats when you keep pet rats, and getting rid of it when it wants to eat them.

Or getting a bloodhound knowing that they will follow a scent and must be kept contained when you don't have a fenced yard, and then getting rid of it because it won't stay in the yard when you let it out alone.

Reply to Thread New Thread