View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
hHwJ229h

Lucy barks at people going by our house when she's in the yard, and she'll bark at people when she sees them out the window. She mostly does this when my other dogs are outside (mostly Ethel, she's always the one who starts barking when people are about a block away from my house, and doesn't stop until told or until she can't hear or see them anymore).

If she's in my room, and it's just me and her (or me and Richie are sleeping) and she hears a unusual sound, she'll perk up and growl very softly until she's told to stop. If she really doesn't like the unusual sound she'll growl then bark.

Once she started barking at my friend Bert when he came over. She stopped when I told her to. I thought about it for awhile, and realized she isn't used to big, mountain like men, she's used to tall skinny men, and men of average heights. She doesn't bark at Bert anymore BTW, she realized he needed lots of kisses.

Am I worried? Not really. She loves people. She's great on a leash, never barks or growls, and is always happy to see other people. New objects, and most new people don't really even phase her. I do get the occasional weirdo who she wants nothing to do with, which means I want nothing to do with them.

She never used to bark until Ethel got bigger and decided that because she's big and loud, she needs to inform me of everything going on. Once Ethel started barking at people, Lucy did.

I think sometimes it's a learned behavior. But I don't have a problem with it because I'd rather have warning of something going on outside out of the ordinary, than to have my car broken into (which Lucy has prevented by barking at night a few times, which made me go check outside, and someone was trying to break into my car), or have something worse happen.

Also, I was told by my friend's dad who's had APBTs for 20 years that Lucy's the noisiest APBT he's ever met (this was after he heard her going off at a deer that passed by the kennel, and then kept barking at the woods after it left).