LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Dstyeglm

Default Kimmel Tricks
Theisman got fired?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...PHCP&GT1=10539

Talk about cutting straight to the punch line.

It took Jimmy Kimmel a matter of 10 minutes to do what Dennis Miller needed two years to accomplish — getting the heave-ho from "Monday Night Football."

ESPN will no longer allow Kimmel any guest appearances on MNF after the ABC late-night host made several jokes about recently-fired analyst Joe Theismann, The New York Times reported Wednesday.
Kimmel, who joined Mike Tirico, Tony Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski in the booth during the third quarter of the Giants' 31-10 win over the Falcons, joked about where Theismann was, insinuated that Kornheiser got Theismann fired (their on-air chemistry was often a topic of debate last season), and later remarked, "I'd also like to welcome Joe Theismann, watching from his living room with steam coming from his ears."

Kimmel's comments were "classless and disappointing," said Jay Rothman, ESPN's MNF producer, according to the Times. "It was cheap. The more he went on, the worse he got."
Rothman then affirmed that Kimmel would not be invited back.
Reached by the Times, Theismann said he was more amused than annoyed by Kimmel's comments.
"I don't have an opinion about what people say, but it's nice to know you're missed," Theismann said. "It's interesting that people remember me." Theismann later added that MNF "has become Tony Kornheiser's show."

Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
VyacheslaV

Kornheiser >>>>>>>> Theismann

And each > is actually worth 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 >'s.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Ephedrine

Never been a fan of that arrogant & cocky Redskin.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
FuXA8nQM

"Jimmy, all of America thought that bit on Mr. Theismann was completely hilarious, I on the other hand, felt it was classless, youre fired."

Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
WaysletlyLene

kornheiser is just as bad as theisman. at least theisman knew something about football.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
bUqLfXRI

i couldnt stand theisman.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
ImmimiFruff

tirico is awful too.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
RotsLoado

Kornheiser is no better than Theismann. And Theismann was BAD.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #9
BrodiKennedy

kornheiser is just as bad as theisman. at least theisman knew something about football.
Nothing beats Madden & Michaels for night games.....but I do miss Summerall.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
YTmWSOA5

Nothing beats Madden & Michaels for night games.....but I do miss Summerall.
game got to fast for him.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
Верещагин

That and his liver got a bit too much booze.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
Phywhewashect

I guess golf got too fast for him too.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
Deengealf

Here's the thing for those that don't like Kornheiser...and the reason I do like him.

First off, there's Theismann. The guy was a douche. And even though he played football, most of his commentary was fucking retarded. Names wrong, sometimes teams wrong. Constantly made idiotic statements, over generalizations, and basically just nitwit stuff.

And really, Kornheiser is the same. He makes retarded comments (many times blatantly over the top...that is, sarcastic) and doesn't really know that much about football. But here's the thing. He knows it. He admits it. He knows he's there to make those comments. That's why they have the guy that knows football (Jaws) and the all-sports-commentator Tirico. They're there to give the supposed "real" info. Kornheiser is there to be a dolt. And he's happy to do so. Whereas, Theismann was a dolt, but too fucking arrogant and full of himself to realize that. Which is what made Kornheiser that much better last season...he called Theismann on his idiotic statements.

I haven't watched a MNF game yet this year, so I can't comment on how good/bad he's been.

That, and I always enjoyed his radio show and PTI. So there.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #14
RozzyLiu

Here's the thing for those that don't like Kornheiser...and the reason I do like him.

First off, there's Theismann. The guy was a douche. And even though he played football, most of his commentary was fucking retarded. Names wrong, sometimes teams wrong. Constantly made idiotic statements, over generalizations, and basically just nitwit stuff.

And really, Kornheiser is the same. He makes retarded comments (many times blatantly over the top...that is, sarcastic) and doesn't really know that much about football. But here's the thing. He knows it. He admits it. He knows he's there to make those comments. That's why they have the guy that knows football (Jaws) and the all-sports-commentator Tirico. They're there to give the supposed "real" info. Kornheiser is there to be a dolt. And he's happy to do so. Whereas, Theismann was a dolt, but too fucking arrogant and full of himself to realize that. Which is what made Kornheiser that much better last season...he called Theismann on his idiotic statements.

I haven't watched a MNF game yet this year, so I can't comment on how good/bad he's been.

Here's an example of Theisman's cluelessness:

"I don't have an opinion about what people say, but it's nice to know you're missed," Theismann said. "It's interesting that people remember me." Theismann later added that MNF "has become Tony Kornheiser's show."

The butt of a joke, and thinks he's "missed".

Hey, I think the MNF gig has got to be a bitch for anybody, so I'm not that critical. I can listen to just about anybody.

But honestly, the current lineup for me is as good as can be next to the original cast of Meredith, Cosell, and Gifford.

Kornheiser isn't a jock and doesn't pretend to be. But he's sharp as hell, gives the appropriate "journalistic" viewpoint, which is what he is, and asks the right questions of the jock who should know about the game: Jaworski. I think Jaws can keep up better with TK better than Theisman did, because he's not as threatened, for whatever reason.

Tirico keeps a handle on it all and is also a very bright guy. I like it.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #15
Tij84ye

Comparing Theismann to Kornheiser isn't even right. Theismann was replaced by Jaws. Jaws was the one who took over Theismann's role as the football analyst. Now it'd be nice if someone else took over Kornheiser's role.

I think Jaws is good, but not great. At the very least he is very intelligent about football and is rarely annoying in a Theismann and Madden kind of way. Tirico is fine. Kornheiser is terrible.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #16
SarSerceSaice

Once again, ESPN is overreacting to try to cover their embarrasment for hiring the guy, then firing him.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
freeringsf

How can you fire someone from something they probably wouldn't be coming back to do anyway? Why does ESPN feel the need to spend the entire 3rd quarter talking to a "guest" in the booth.

Michaels and Madden are brutal. NBC can do better.

Theisman deserves more than Kimmel gave teh other night...the guy was a complete douchebag.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 PM   #18
bomondus

Props to Jimmy Kimmel. That's hilarious.

Anyway. Kornheiser isn't great. Whatever. They should put me in the booth.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
uncoodync

Nothing beats Madden & Michaels for night games
I agree. IMO, SNF has surpassed MNF.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
nithhysfusy

Kornheiser is alright, but geting full of himself.

Tirico(sp?) is pretty good.

Jaws is... well... Mr. Know it all. he gets excited describing a bowell movement.

I never liked al michaels. He just annoys me, madden is a farce of himself theses days. I thnk he's afraid of sounding like Caleindo (sp?)

Reply to Thread New Thread