LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
violalmina

Agreed. Why do people like this film?
It seems that people who don't like it just don't get it.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #22
RogHammon

Awesome film.Best of the year.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #23
payporanymn

Im not sure if watched a different film but i thought it was absoloutly awful...... everything about the film seemed to give off that it was about the fantasy world sorta thing and it just seemed tacked on, the entire film could have just been about the spanish/gurilla/army fighting side of things without the fantasy stuff..... It just felt to me like two very average films that had been in a head on crash.

Honestly i think the only reason the critics seemed to like it was because it was in spanish.
I liked it in general, probably not as much as some, but it's around my 8/10 mark. I don't agree that the fantasy world thing was tacked on. It's a testament to the resilience of the girl that in terrrible conditions she's able to escape from it in her own way, and the contrast between the two realities make for a good counterpoint and rhythm in the story. Though the story is violent and tragic in many ways, the fantasy world is pure wonder; the ambiguous fate of the girl at the end of the film preserves this feeling of understated wonder instead of overwhelming it with a soapy or "gotcha!" resolution. It would definitely piss off people looking for a definitive and clear-cut conclusion.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #24
machpamb

It seems that people who don't like it just don't get it.
[rofl] That's why I asked. What is there to get? The ridiculous morality story about questioning authority?

Old 05-19-2007, 01:55 AM   #25
xpllmr

The movie is incredible, well worth the watch. It's a bit on the creepy side and a little bloody at times, but it's no Private Ryan [surrender]

Old 05-19-2007, 02:54 AM   #26
TimoDass

It's a fantastic film, saw it at the cinema then bought it right away on DVD [thumbup]

Old 05-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #27
tadacia

This movie completely blew me away... Doug Jones is amazing with what he does for the Faun and the Pale Man.

Apparantly he said that by placing it in the backdrop of that war, the film is actually an allegory about Spain itself in some way.

He also stated that the ending is purposefully vague, and depending on what you believed really happened shows what kind of person you are inside.

I guess the guy who plays the military-leader-dude (can't remember his rank) is actually a comedian... and people told Del Toro that no one would take him seriously as a villain.

We're actually watching this tonight at a get together for a volunteer organization I'm part of.

Reply to Thread New Thread