LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Pheddytrourry

Default Skin Allergies / Fish Oil questions
My 3 year old female APBT has recently come down with what appears to be skin allergies. From lots of reading and talking w/ my Vet, I understand it's quite difficult to pinpoint exactly what's causing it. It's only on her underneath, right around privates and what I would say is the human version of her back arm pits. Little pinkish/redish rashes, and few little pink pimple resembling spots. She has been extremely itchy and that's how we finally realized something was wrong. I've had for on Benadryl for 2 days now, 2 x 25mg every 4-6 hours, she weighs 51lbs. The itching has completely stopped which is good, rash and pink spots still exist, but somewhat diminished in intensity.

Vet said continue to monitor the rashes for a week and get back to him, as well as keep the Benadryl going. I guess from this point, now we just gotta figure out what caused this. We adopted her little over a month ago and For 4 weeks now, I've had her on TOTW Biesin, so I don't think it's her food or else this would've showed up earlier?

No fleas or ticks of any kind, she's on k9 advantix II. She does run around our backyard so maybe some type of grass allergy? But again, wouldn't a grass allergy have reared it's face a long time ago?

Vet recommended just in general, to give her Fish oil and vitamin E. Any thoughts on that?

Any other thoughts in general? She is a white dog so I could take pictures if anyone thinks that might help.

thx so much!

Dan

Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Peterli

Allergies are strange. Could be a seasonal thing, could be a permanent environmental allergy, could be a permanent food allergy, could be some random thing she rolled in or a new chemical she was exposed to..

If it's just something she was recently exposed to the benedryl will help and it will go away. You may never know what caused it, but some thoughts are bedding, carpet fibers, something chemical like maybe freshly washed laundry or freshly cleaned carpets, maybe a new rug or bed she has been on.

If she happened to have food or environmental allergies that are ongoing the best thing you could do is take her in for a blood allergy test to see what her allergens are. But I don't think you are there yet. For this I say watch and see how she does. If she keeps breaking out, starts worrying at her paws, develops ear infections, starts losing fur and breaks out in hives, then I would start calling local vets and see who can do the blood work.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Oh, and yes.. fish oil tabs and vitamin e are good for dogs skin and coats. They can be pricey at the vet, though. I get mine from Wal-Mart. Any pharmacy or health food store should sell bottles of fish oil tabs and vitamin e tabs. Just put it on her food.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Pheddytrourry

Very good, thx for quick response, took 2 quick pictures with my phone as well..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
CaseyFronczekHomie

I second the fish oil and vitamin E. It's just good for them. I also just get the human supplements.

Maybe try switching what you wash your laundry in to a hypoallergenic detergent. If you have carpet, don't use carpet freshener, use baking soda. When she comes in from outside, wipe her down with a wet rag, or baby wipes.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
WeightWatchyshow

My puppy has been itchy all over his body, but there are no rashes. I tried giving him Benadryl wrapped in a piece of bologna, but he threw it up not too long after. I don't know if I should try it again. It seems to have worked in your case to stop the itching, but did not get rid of the marks. Since my pup doesn't have marks, how will I know if his condition is gone or not? And should I try the Benadryl again?

-sil3ntq

Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
CaseyFronczekHomie

My puppy has been itchy all over his body, but there are no rashes. I tried giving him Benadryl wrapped in a piece of bologna, but he threw it up not too long after. I don't know if I should try it again. It seems to have worked in your case to stop the itching, but did not get rid of the marks. Since my pup doesn't have marks, how will I know if his condition is gone or not? And should I try the Benadryl again?

-sil3ntq
It's worth it to try it again.

If he stops itching on the Benadryl, just wait and see.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
WeightWatchyshow

Haha okay, I think that's what I'll do. I was also suggested fish oil and/or vitamin e. Maybe I should try all three?

-sil3ntq

Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
CaseyFronczekHomie

Fish oil and vitamin E are just good to give anyway.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
SantaClaus

Yep, I give Trigger liquid EFA oil and e-human source, and I take a tablespoon myself. We alternates with fish oil capsules

Old 12-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
TubOppomo

I am new here and just posted my own thread to get help with my dog--I have been dealing with the extreme end of what you have mentioned here, and I do wish for you and your pup that it passes. After 4 months of itching/scratching scrapings, med trials, holistic vet trips (2 hour drive), and thousands of bucks (on a teacher salary), we still see no results. The holistic vet had some great ideas, that could perhaps be of use to your pup. One is Nettle Leaf--it's an organic herb (capsule form) that acts as an inflammatory and aids in healthy skin (recommended for humans with eczema and other skin conditions...interesting) Zyrtec can also be used in dogs, but be sure to check with your vet for the right dosage (if Benadryl doesn't work), and apparently Safflower Oil has Omega 3's and the same benefits as Fish Oil but with a little boost...I am no expert but have been googling, going to the vet, reading, asking questions very regularly (it's like a second part time job in addition to my full time job and part time job) for me...so these are the things we are trying--and now we are on Atopica (which doesn't seem to be working either).

Old 12-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
Xiciljed

You can also put bag balm (for cow utters) on the rashy areas.
It works really well to get rid of any rashes on the underside of a dog... and numerous other people have tried it and been happy with the results.
But it doesn't help solve the underlying issue of what the actual allergy is.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

We also have our dogs on fish oil and 400 IU vitamin e.... we make sure the vitamin e doesn't have soy or anything like that because that's another common allergy. We buy the human grade soft gels and pop them on our dogs food every day.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
Peterli

I am new here and just posted my own thread to get help with my dog--I have been dealing with the extreme end of what you have mentioned here, and I do wish for you and your pup that it passes. After 4 months of itching/scratching scrapings, med trials, holistic vet trips (2 hour drive), and thousands of bucks (on a teacher salary), we still see no results. The holistic vet had some great ideas, that could perhaps be of use to your pup. One is Nettle Leaf--it's an organic herb (capsule form) that acts as an inflammatory and aids in healthy skin (recommended for humans with eczema and other skin conditions...interesting) Zyrtec can also be used in dogs, but be sure to check with your vet for the right dosage (if Benadryl doesn't work), and apparently Safflower Oil has Omega 3's and the same benefits as Fish Oil but with a little boost...I am no expert but have been googling, going to the vet, reading, asking questions very regularly (it's like a second part time job in addition to my full time job and part time job) for me...so these are the things we are trying--and now we are on Atopica (which doesn't seem to be working either).
Have you considered running a blood test to see what her allergens are and doing allergy shots?

Reply to Thread New Thread