LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
AnypecekceS

Default New pup...MAYBE...
Hi guys, its been a while since i posted here! 2 years ago i adopted my little girl (you can see the profile pic)...yah, she no longer looks like that. She's 80lb!!! My friend's dog just had puppies and we are thinking of taking one of them...after reading some of the threads here im thinking that it may be a boy (apparently it diminishes the chances of fights?). My girl although big shows no signs of aggression and has never even growled at another dog. I think it has something to do with me always being around her if at the park, ive read that sometimes dogs get into fights because they feel the need to defend themselves. Because of that im always there and if someone gets jumpy around her i pick her up and off we go. Shes usually too busy playing to notice the other dog's behavior...she never runs towards a dog and always lays down if approached by another dog. Like i said, shes big but wants no trouble and she knows i got her if anything happens. My question is...do you think its a good idea to get another dog? today i read that rotating is the best thing to do with other dogs. But thats not something i really want to do...im really hoping that both dogs can walk around while we're home (Crate them when not home, of course). Are there any members that have been capable to accomplish that? Is that a realistic expectation? I love dogs and it would be great to have another pup...however if it forces to keep her girl in the cage while im home...well i dont think that its worth it and rather not even bother with another dog.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
sztc38tg

I had the same questions myself and the general consensus from my thread was, its a gamble.. they may love each other forever and they may hate each other after a few weeks or few years for any reason.. And when that happens they will not be able to be together which means crate and rotate.. Good luck!!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
sat23neus2

I had the same questions myself and the general consensus from my thread was, its a gamble.. they may love each other forever and they may hate each other after a few weeks or few years for any reason.. And when that happens they will not be able to be together which means crate and rotate.. Good luck!!
Which way did you go?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Fuerfsanv

Which way did you go?
I have not gone either way yet.. To be honest im leaning towards getting another still.. I wont know unless i give it a try..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Romobencience

I have had success with a male an female APBT living in the same house and not having to rotate them when we were home. We just had to be careful when high valued treats were around. We couldnt play ball with them together or a fight would break out. You just have to know what triggers your individual dogs and manage accordingly. I think its a good sign that your female has not had aggression issues yet, it might also help if you got a male puppy from a litter that was more bully or am staff and further away from game lines. These are all just ideas, but only time will tell. It is always a gamble but i can be done.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
pimbertiemoft

I was wondering the same also about going towards something less game bred.. I was looking at old family red nose strains from ironline for the male and now im thinking it might not be a good idea.. Its kinda of common sense i guess to get them as far a away from prey driven and fight driven as possible i guess.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Seasmillets

If you own any variation of the breed, mix or otherwise, you have to expect to put forth the effort to be PROACTIVE and stop a fight before it starts. It's called being responsible. If you openly say you don't want to crate and rotate.. you probably should not be bringing yet another puppy into the mix.

You also seem to be really talking bloodlines up a storm..when all you own are mixed. How do you KNOW if what you already have is/isn't gamey? How do you plan to choose a pup accordingly? Any mix you bring home, like what you already have, may or may not be gamey. No one will ever know with no papers.

Do what you will. But be prepared to be PROACTIVE. If you think that's an inconvenience.. then be happy with what you have.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
reaciciomarep

I have had success with a male an female APBT living in the same house and not having to rotate them when we were home. We just had to be careful when high valued treats were around. We couldnt play ball with them together or a fight would break out. You just have to know what triggers your individual dogs and manage accordingly. I think its a good sign that your female has not had aggression issues yet, it might also help if you got a male puppy from a litter that was more bully or am staff and further away from game lines. These are all just ideas, but only time will tell. It is always a gamble but i can be done.
Yea, im thinking a male will be best...Sky is 2...i know that it can change quick but as of now..no aggression. Shes an am staff but im not sure what you mean by game lines.

If you own any variation of the breed, mix or otherwise, you have to expect to put forth the effort to be PROACTIVE and stop a fight before it starts. It's called being responsible. If you openly say you don't want to crate and rotate.. you probably should not be bringing yet another puppy into the mix.

You also seem to be really talking bloodlines up a storm..when all you own are mixed. How do you KNOW if what you already have is/isn't gamey? How do you plan to choose a pup accordingly? Any mix you bring home, like what you already have, may or may not be gamey. No one will ever know with no papers.

Do what you will. But be prepared to be PROACTIVE. If you think that's an inconvenience.. then be happy with what you have.
I dont mean that i wouldnt be open minded about crate and rotating if it came to it...i wouldnt have a choice. but i would like to hope that one can go into a second dog with thought that this wont be likely or required later on. Perhaps its better not to get another am staff and get a different breed?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
MannyLopez

the general consensus from my thread was, its a gamble.. they may love each other forever and they may hate each other after a few weeks or few years for any reason.. And when that happens they will not be able to be together which means crate and rotate.. Good luck!!
This^^^. It is a gamble, and you won't know which way it goes, until you're in the middle of it. Mollie and Bella got along great for 2 years, then one day it just .... ended, and that was that. I tried without success to get them to tolerate each other so they could at least be in the same room together when I was there with them, but eventually, they proved that it would not be. For the first 2 years, they were wonderful together, but when it ended, it ended.

I now crate/rotate all my dogs, and basically only certain ones are allowed around others, and Mollie and Bella are definitely not allowed to be around each other.

Would I bring in another dog around them now so either one of them could get along with it? I don't know, that's a tough question for me because of what I have gone through with the two of them. I would be extremely hesitant and even when we had a stray show up about a month ago, I haven't let either of them around her. I have one Lab mix that gets along with everyone, but not everyone feels the same, so she only goes out with certain ones, but she loves the stray and the stray loves her, so they get to be in the back yard together. But would I risk it with the others? Probably not, simply because I would rather prevent a fight than break one up.

I would think long and hard before I got another dog, and I would see if you have friends that have pups that you could maybe interact with to see how she acts around them. Maybe take her around the pup and see how she responds. Mollie was jumpy around Bella at first when I brought her home, but within a week, she was fine and playing.... if only that had lasted past 2 years.

If you do decide to get a pup, definitely make sure treats and toys are out of sight when they are out together, and do not feed them side by side, as some dogs get snarky with food. Be extremely careful, don't hesitate to crate/rotate and separate when play time gets too rough. Invest in a break stick and learn how to use it. I think having a baby gate is a good thing to have so you can put it up to be a barrier between then if you need to, but a crate works even better. Never leave them together when you can't give them your full attention, and don't let them romp through the house freely when you're busy cooking dinner because they will find something to get into when you aren't looking and things can go from good to bad in a split second. Just always be on your toes and never think that they won't fight. You have to be like the boy scouts... be prepared. Always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst... just my opinion.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
HenriRow

Oh, as a second thought? Is she spayed?? If not, I would get her spayed BEFORE you bring another dog into the home, and get the second dog spayed/neutered as well. An unaltered dog tends to want to dominate when they reach maturity. Once their sex drive kicks in, you could have problems, so best to avoid that all together.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Ztcgtqvb

Oh, as a second thought? Is she spayed?? If not, I would get her spayed BEFORE you bring another dog into the home, and get the second dog spayed/neutered as well. An unaltered dog tends to want to dominate when they reach maturity. Once their sex drive kicks in, you could have problems, so best to avoid that all together.
Thank you! Your post was very informative. Yes, she is spayed. I cant say shes an alpha type because she tends to lie down when approached by other dogs. Do you think its easier to have one male and one female instead of two females? I am also looking into the possibility that maybe another American Staff is not the best option and i should go with a different breed.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
fgjhfgjh

Has anybody had bad experiences with their Am Staff and another breed?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
JesexhiSeeces

Well I'm assuming your dog isn't a pure bred APBT so the chances of dog aggression showing aren't going to be as high as a pure bred. What breed is the other pup?
She's spayed and right now shows no aggression so I wouldn't see why not.
As long as your aware then in some point there is a chance it could happen with either of them then there's no problem.

Kady has a Am staff along with 2 other bully breeds and cats.
If your worried about dog aggression I would go with a Staff or Am.Bully.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
slarceSelia

Well I'm assuming your dog isn't a pure bred APBT so the chances of dog aggression showing aren't going to be as high as a pure bred. What breed is the other pup?
She's spayed and right now shows no aggression so I wouldn't see why not.
As long as your aware then in some point there is a chance it could happen with either of them then there's no problem.

Kady has a Am staff along with 2 other bully breeds and cats.
If your worried about dog aggression I would go with a Staff or Am.Bully.
The parents look to be Am Staff's too...im not 100% certain but thats what i think they are. After reading many threads about multiple dogs in a home i can say that im de aware of the possibility that when the pup gets older he may not want to be near my girl or vice versa. I think it is less likely that ill see the behavior from Sky because she often goes to the park without any issues.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
fount_pirat

Her going to the park without issues doesn't mean anything, there are many dogs who are cuddle buddies for years and then one day want to kill each other. And I really hope your not meaning a dog park..

Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
lierro

Her going to the park without issues doesn't mean anything, there are many dogs who are cuddle buddies for years and then one day want to kill each other. And I really hope your not meaning a dog park..
i mean the dog park...i know some here dont like the dog parks but shes always up to date on all shots and im always around her when shes there. Also, although i never have it out and never had to use it, i bring a breakstick just in case.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
Bemapayople

The fact that you take your dog to a dog park tells me you do not want to listen to the advice of the experienced. So why bother asking. Obviously you will ignore what you don't want to hear.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #18
Redys

the question is not if they are going to fight it is when are they going to fight? ALLWAYS EXPECT A BULLDOG TO FIGHT. having two DA dogs in one home can be done but it takes a lot of hard work. as far as your dog not even grownling at another dog some bulldogs take a few years before they turn hot. so don't let that be a huge factor in the choice you make.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
bixlewlyimila

The fact that you take your dog to a dog park tells me you do not want to listen to the advice of the experienced. So why bother asking. Obviously you will ignore what you don't want to hear.
its not that i would ignore it...i dont have a choice. I dont have a big backyard at this time so i take her to the park so that she can run around and exercise.

the question is not if they are going to fight it is when are they going to fight? ALLWAYS EXPECT A BULLDOG TO FIGHT. having two DA dogs in one home can be done but it takes a lot of hard work. as far as your dog not even grownling at another dog some bulldogs take a few years before they turn hot. so don't let that be a huge factor in the choice you make.
This is where im confused...i understand that they may all derive from the BULLDOG...but she's an american staffordshire terrier. From everything that was presented to me and that ive researched they are not as likely to show aggression. Again, i would love to have a big yard for her to run around and have it for herself along with maybe another dog but at this time i do not have this.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Kemapreedasse

its not that i would ignore it...i dont have a choice. I dont have a big backyard at this time so i take her to the park so that she can run around and exercise.

This is where im confused...i understand that they may all derive from the BULLDOG...but she's an american staffordshire terrier. From everything that was presented to me and that ive researched they are not as likely to show aggression. Again, i would love to have a big yard for her to run around and have it for herself along with maybe another dog but at this time i do not have this.
What is wrong with long walks? Make a flirt pole or spring pole.

Just because your pup is vaccinated, doesn't mean everyone else has their dog vaccinated. And some things don't have a vaccination.

There is really NO reason to be going to a dog park

Reply to Thread New Thread